Has anyone ever taken off the painted piece of an LTZ or Denali door Handle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tenminutes

Reaction score
My '19 Denali has the black painted insert into a chrome handle and I want repaint the black insert a different color. I thought that it was on there with double sided take but if it is, it's really on there.

Does anyone have experience taking it off?

OP
OP
tenminutes

tenminutes

Reaction score
Update for anyone interested: Those painted inserts are simply attached by adhesive. I used a heat gun to warm them up, used a flat head screwdriver with the tip wrapped in electric tape, worked my way into it just enough to cut at the stretching adhesive and took my time. Took me maybe 20 minutes to get all of them off.

That said, removal of the proxy handles was a different story. Not impossible, but somewhat tricky due to where the handle connector is located inside the door panel and I have big hands. First door took me almost an hour, second 30 min, third and fourth I did in about 15 min a piece. HINT: if you remove the door panels on these Yukons or Tahoes make sure you remove the felt gasket trim, install that separate as you are putting the doors back on, and install the clips TO that felt trim piece so you can pop the panel back onto it while that strip is already hung on the window. Maybe there's a way to line it up and slide it on with that strip pre attached to the door (like it will be when you remove it from the vehicle) but I couldn't get it right. There's probably a dozen write ups about this. ha ha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia