Hard start 96 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roger L

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
5.7 acts fuel starved, really hard to start cold. After it's been running, it fires right up. Any ideas?

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More info please! are you setting any codes? Fuel filter replaced in the last year? Have you checked fuel pressure? Ohm checked coolant temp sensor?

OP
OP
R

Roger L

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No codes, I haven't been able to test anything yet. It runs strong after it starts, so I'm ruling out the filter

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wouldn't rule out the fuel filter fyi. after the vehicle has been sitting a while you do lose fuel pressure im not sure if you would lose all the pressure but you generally do lose some pressure. once you get the vehicle running the pump has gotten the fuel pressure up enough to run the engine. short trips into a store and such and back to your truck it should still have held fuel pressure to restart the truck. so not saying it is the fuel filter but i wouldn't rule it out and they are cheap and should be replaced periodically as part of general maintenance anyway.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When you say it "acts fuel starved" are you saying it cranks for a long time and then finally starts? When it cranks is the cranking speed normal or is it slow(er)? Any recent work done to vehicle? May well be a fuel filter that is really effected by the cold, especially if you run crappy cheap fuel. If you unplug the coolant temp sensor does it start differently when engine is cold and you have the problem? How old are the tune related components? Inquiring minds want to know!

OP
OP
R

Roger L

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I cycle the key several times before trying to start (after it has set over night) and it will fire for a second and that's all, cycle some more, another quick fire, it does this for at least 6 tries. Once started it runs great. It has set for quite awhile and the problem has just gotten worse. I did think about unplugging the temp sensor but haven't gotten around to it yet.

liquify33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cycle the key several times before trying to start (after it has set over night) and it will fire for a second and that's all, cycle some more, another quick fire, it does this for at least 6 tries. Once started it runs great. It has set for quite awhile and the problem has just gotten worse. I did think about unplugging the temp sensor but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Have you checked your fuel pressure?
With key on (don’t start) it should be 55-60

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I would be worried about the fuel pressure bleeding off after sitting. The actual fuel pressure may be in spec and why it would run ok after it gets cranked over several times but if there is fuel pressure bleeding off and the system starts dry each time that would explain the problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne