Hard shifting help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TahoeLT10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gents,

Looking to get some insight on what might be causing hard shift into second and third on 2010 Tahoe with 130k miles. Tons of info here and on the net, but seems like nothing specific and all over the places with potential issues and its causes. All fluids as less than 20k miles old (tranny, differential, transfer case, engine, etc). Attempted to remove BCM fuse and it seems to reset it and felt like it was shifting smoother. Shifting especially hard (causing slight vibration to the vehicle) at low acceleration or when towing features is active. Could it be Transmission Control Solenoid, Transmission Accumulator, BCM? How to narrow-down possible fixes? May be it is not the tranny issue but read diferential as sometimes I hear “clunk.” I bought this truck on salvage lot 5 years ago with rear fender bender and bend axle causing me to replace entire rear differential (got one off junk yard in NJ). No issues in five years. Drove on autobahn in Germany for three years. Anyways, may be someone has some insights. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Get a Tech2 or take it to someone with a good bidirectional scan tool.

To many possibilities to guess over the internet but a good scanner, that can see the BCM and TCM, should be able to narrow it down quickly.

You could also get a bluetooth/wifi OBD2 scanner and use the "ChevroSys Free" app on your phone and see what codes are being set in the BCM and/or TCM.

OP
OP
T

TahoeLT10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a Tech2 or take it to someone with a good bidirectional scan tool.

To many possibilities to guess over the internet but a good scanner, that can see the BCM and TCM, should be able to narrow it down quickly.

You could also get a bluetooth/wifi OBD2 scanner and use the "ChevroSys Free" app on your phone and see what codes are being set in the BCM and/or TCM.
Thanks. I got scantool and no codes are being shown. As a matter of fact, I got 4 different somewhere scanners, but none are truly comprehensive. I’ll look into Tech2. Thanks.

iras1976

Reaction score
That could be a number of things , that gen is know for transfer case problems , and 130k is in tranny rebuild territory .However ..... the slight vibration at low speed or low rpm sounds like a torque converter issue . I've had that problem in my 2015 and a backlash at about 3 rd gear was also a symptom. There are heavy duty torque converters available which is what I'm running with now , truck feels strong and smooth now. When it comes to expensive we tend to be in a little bit of denial, but if that tranny has to come out to replace the converter, at that mileage... should be getting a rebuild as well .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

TahoeLT10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That could be a number of things , that gen is know for transfer case problems , and 130k is in tranny rebuild territory .However ..... the slight vibration at low speed or low rpm sounds like a torque converter issue . I've had that problem in my 2015 and a backlash at about 3 rd gear was also a symptom. There are heavy duty torque converters available which is what I'm running with now , truck feels strong and smooth now. When it comes to expensive we tend to be in a little bit of denial, but if that tranny has to come out to replace the converter, at that mileage... should be getting a rebuild as well .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I had vibration at idle when I first got the truck. Change of transfer case fluid seemed to fix it. Slight vibration now only occurs when it shifts hard.

OP
OP
T

TahoeLT10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking about getting VXDiag for Gm and running it with Tech2Win. Any issues running in this config to get after troubleshooting for my problem? Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts