Had a lifter temporarily get stuck. . .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

strad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine has 216k miles, is a 5.3 L59. Has had oil changes regularly between 3 and 4.5k miles at least since 143.5k miles, when I acquired the truck. It happened while the engine was idling in a fast food lane, and I was able to get it unstuck after leaving the fast food place.

But . . . I'm not a believer in luck, so I had the thought that there might be a product I could use to help this situation. I know diesels suffer from stiction, but is this situation possibly similar? And would a similar product help me?

Edit: the truck has been running 5W30 full synthetic for at least the last several oil changes. If that information matters.

OP
OP
S

strad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you mean that cylihder deactivation? I don't think so. And it is not a flex fuel motor either, I don't think.

I guess I don't know what AFM means. I only know the term in reference to older Bosch fuel injection cars, which have an Air Flow Meter, or AFM lol. And I know this truck has an MAF! I'm pretty sure you're not talking about that though.

Last edited:

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Do you mean that cylihder deactivation? I don't think so. And it is not a flex fuel motor either, I don't think.

I guess I don't know what AFM means. I only know the term in reference to older Bosch fuel injection cars, which have an Air Flow Meter, or AFM lol. And I know this truck has an MAF! I'm pretty sure you're not talking about that though.

The L59 does not have AFM and IS flex fuel.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
In case it is Germaine to the discussion then, I have never run it on anything besides regular unleaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A couple tanks of e85 can certainly help clean internals a bit.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it wasn't maintained so well during the first 143K miles and if you ran conventional oil in it, even with a good OCI, there's a chance that the synthetic you're now running is breaking up and cleaning out gunk and a particle broke free and temporarily clogged an oil passage to or in a lifter.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it wasn't maintained so well during the first 143K miles and if you ran conventional oil in it, even with a good OCI, there's a chance that the synthetic you're now running is breaking up and cleaning out gunk and a particle broke free and temporarily clogged an oil passage to or in a lifter.
This! I would pull a valve cover or both. The junk sitting on top of your heads tells all to just how the engine has been treated as far as oil changes and oil quality used. Clean out as much as you can by hand and clean the valve covers too if they have gunk in them. Then clean the whole engine out with some engine flush. DO NOT DRIVE with this stuff in your engine. Let engine idle in drive for label recommended time and then drain and then do an oil change. This is the cheapest test first. You have to pull the heads to replace lifters if thats what you end up with. I have 99 Sierra Gen1 5.7L that has a lifter get hung up but it only does it in the winter when its around 10deg or colder outside and it only does it once or twice a winter. Comes right out of it within 30mins or so.

Cb2004mj

Reaction score
what this guy above said. specifically there are some oil cleansing additives known to help clean lifter passages and the such. basically decarbon the inside of the motor. then do a oil change ASAP afterwards. follow the directions and press on. good attempt to buy you time before pulling heads and doing a lifter job. also correct on the E85, will not do anything for oil cleansing but it is a fuel system cleaner and if you've never run it wouldn't hurt to fill a tank every once in a great while with it. going on a two hr road trip, perfect, get a tank full and purge the crap! cleans injectors, breaks down anything that may be in the system. etc if you do this on a car with a inline filter then change that shortly after doing this the first time. there will be crud in there

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mich2024