Grade Braking/Safety Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NevadaNick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Our 2015 Denali defaults to grade braking automatically. To me this is a sfafety issue for my wife especially when the roads are icy. Why would they do this ? It should be something you have to activate or auto in tow/haul. How do i correct this ? File with NHTSA ?

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you explain why it's a safety issue when icy? In my experience, engine braking works better while going downhill in icy conditions than using the friction brakes.

OP
OP
N

NevadaNick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Slows down the rear wheel only and sometimes aggressivly. Even in 4wd it could start grade braking and cause her to start sliding and she would then need to throttle out of that instaed of just coasting. I have taught her that when going downhill if you lose control to let off the brakes and get it straightened back up before trying to slow down and with grade braking happening that wont work. It can be turned off but you have to do it everytime you start the car, which in mind mind is backwards of the way it should be. Reality is this thing will probably go away and we will get another Mercedes. I got rid of the Mercedes because the nearest dealer was 250 mi away. This yukon has been in the shop more than the MB ever was and its only a couple months old. I like it but she doesnt and i want her to alwys be safe and i dont feel that with the Yukon.

Burbin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nick. Try for the lemon law if you're having that many issues with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What tires are you using that she's breaking traction so frequently?

Reels

Supporting Member
Reaction score
These have been one of the best snow machines I have ever driven for the last ten years. Ford has a similar system on the F250 and more models I am sure. I have never heard anyone complain that it is a safety issue.

OP
OP
N

NevadaNick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Fords F250 is active in tow/haul, i had one. My 2011 GMC dually has an exhaust brake and i have to turn it on. She hasnt had a problem yet and i dont want her to. I just put Hankook studded winter tires on it. My gripe is the grade braking should be so that you turn it on when you want it, not by default.

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should let GM know your concerns. Honestly though, as long as she's in 4wd (not auto) and has good winter tires on the grade braking shouldn't cause any problems. It never caused any problems in our 2012 3/4 ton.

Fardoche

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Definitely Lemon Law this truck !

As for the grade breaking, is this an issue you are foreseeing or did you have actual problems ? Stabilytrack should kick in before any actual real danger.

Like Lyon said, nothing can replace winter tires. Just mounted some Blizzaks DM-V1 on my truck.

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blizzaks are great tires and are nice a quiet on dry pavement, too. I run studded Nokians in winter for that added level of grip on ice.

As for the lemon law, they are different from state to state but most of them require either that the vehicle have been out of service for a certain percentage of the time you've owned it or the dealer failing to fix the same issue multiple times. Simply Googling lemon law and your state's name should get you some information. If you decide you want to go this way you should find a lawyer as many of these laws have complex timing and filing requirements.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10