Got the onstar remotelink to work in my 08 denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fitz08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd share. Put the new vcim in my 08 denali a few weeks back and of course the hands free works great. I did noticed i had a green onstar light, so I called in and they said Hi Mr so and so, I said no this is ......... and they said where happy you decide to buy this used 2010 tahoe, lets update your account. So we updated the account and they said it was already paid through August and they gave me another 3 months untill November. So today I went online a registered and downloaded the remotelink app to my iphone and after getting it all set up...works great! Can start the truck, unlock, lock and see all the vitals of the truck from my iphone. Of course they think its a 2010 tahoe but other than that, couldn't be happier. I think I lucked out cause it had an active account. And its the newer model vcim part number 20829984. Its actually a pretty cool app.

chadman

Reaction score
Was it difficult to swap out the vcim?
Are there any incompatibilities?
Where did you buy it?

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've tried back when we opened up shop. I'll see if GM will sell them to me.

OP
OP
F

Fitz08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was it difficult to swap out the vcim?
Are there any incompatibilities?
Where did you buy it?

Swap is very easy, pop off the radio bezel remove the heater controls and radio( might not need to remove radio but i did for extra room) then the vcim is sitting right there. Its pretty tight fit, theres two tabs, one on each side you need to push them towards the outside to remove. install is just the revers. So far the only incompatibilites would be they think my 08 yukon xl denali is a 2010 Tahoe hybrid. I found mine through car-part.com its a sight that lets you search for a part through a salvage yard data base across the U.S. I also tried to order a brand new one from gm a couple different ways and every time my order was cancelled.

Last edited:

chadman

Reaction score
what year and what part do you search for on the car-part.com website?

OP
OP
F

Fitz08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what year and what part do you search for on the car-part.com website?

I used 2010 chevy tahoe, chasis control computer(not engine), then select communication-onstar-with voice recognition. The part I wanted was 20829984, that was the part used I believe in 2010 and 2011 and is compatable withe the remotelink app.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much do you have to pay onstar per month to be able to use remotelink?

Do you just have to have the minimum package or what?