Got into A fight today(I won)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
After polishing my light lenses and doing the front brakes and shocks I wanted to get my drums off to get a head start on the rear work as it got dark. With parking brake released and wheels off I proceeded with the left drum. A little sticky but that is okay. Went for the adjuster slot. What appeared to be three of them around the bottom actually. But wait theres more, as i tried to insert a tool into the slot it was blocked. All three of them.:wtf::emotions122:

I had no choice but to fight to rip off the assemby breaking hold down pins and popping springs in the process. The drum and shoes grooving look more horrific then the flight path of the Vomet Comet riding the worlds scariest rollercoaster. Got to dark and could not see a damn thing by then on the axle and had to call it a day until rain is also gone. Put just the drum and wheel back on for another day. :wtf: just happened?

The slots are there but seem to be covered from the inside. Anyone come across this? I may not get another look at it till tuesday maybe. Have not looked at right assembly yet.

Last edited:

longstand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damm dude. you could write!!

you make a Simple mechanic job a story, kinda exiting reading that.. its like Whats next???

OP
OP
SunlitComet

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
I have no idea what I'm doing when I am writing. Always have to go back and edit blah blah blah.

Last edited:

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ran into the same thing on my 2-door. once they were apart, looking at where the adjuster wheel is compared to the slots, there wasn't a way to get to it with the drum on.

TahoeJim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Half that old hardware is probably jacked up anyway. I'd pitch it and just buy a replacement hardware kit, springs, etc. Scrub the hell out of the backing plate with a wire brush to get all the flaky rust and dirt out of there. Get it all clean so you know what you're working with in there.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So are we talking knock outs that are removed after the first brake job maybe?

Usually yes, I was the second owner of my 80 Camaro, the rears were just like you described, the **** out area was there but still filled in.

OP
OP
SunlitComet

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Alright I will look into it and maybe see about opening the one nearest the adjusters. I have already got all new hardware a few months ago. I have some thick severe duty shoes so if the punch out is to difficult to remove with a punch and hammer I might leave it there as it will be a while before I have to take them off again. Pisses me off that there is nothing any where in my tech data or haynes manual about this.

OP
OP
SunlitComet

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
SOB they are knockouts on purpose for the first brake service after being assembled. Does not matter now my left backing plate has a really bad grove from the upper end of the front shoe so I have no choice but to replace it. Will check the right side Wednesday as I have not yanked it off yet. I really don't want to have to pull axles but I don't think brakes will work properly unless I replace the plate.:emotions122: Can't continue now till April when more money is here.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia