Good ole autoride conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

30579it

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey, guys. I’m new here, and have been searching the web for an answer to what I believe is a simple question:

(2001 Tahoe with 184k and G80 rear end)

I’m planning on doing the autoride to gas shock conversion. I’m looking at a setup as described in the video.

Bilstein 4600 shocks and two new rear coil over springs.

I bought the Tahoe used @147k without knowing much about the autoride system (idiot move, I know).Now I know there is a compressor which is supposed to turn on often, and air bladders that are supposed to be inflated.
My truck has none of these features. However, it throws no warning lights. This leads me to believe that the seller did something to the system to prevent it from throwing codes - maybe a resistor? I don’t know.

So, my question is, if I use a bilstein kit (4 shocks, 2 springs) is there anything else I have to buy? Will these shocks bolt on?
In some places I’m reading that it’s impossible to mount regular shocks on autoride equipped vehicles, but there seem to be kits available.

Thanks for your time, fellows.

-GFM

Dan Acosta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the autoride shocks are no longer on the vehicle, and there are no codes, the previous owner did some conversion or modified the system to eliminate the error code. You should have no issues with the switch to your new shocks. If any of the shocks are present you may have to add a resister or any of the other solutions in posts to this forum.

OP
OP

30579it

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If the autoride shocks are no longer on the vehicle, and there are no codes, the previous owner did some conversion or modified the system to eliminate the error code. You should have no issues with the switch to your new shocks. If any of the shocks are present you may have to add a resister or any of the other solutions in posts to this forum.

Thanks for the reply. As far as I can tell, the original autoride system is still present: compressor, air bladder shocks, sensor arms, etc are all still on the truck. The dash is clear of any lights besides a random ABS light that is thrown every once in a while (faulty sensor).

———-My main question: can regular, gas shocks be physically installed on my autoride equipped Tahoe without modifying (ie. welding new brackets) parts? —————-

I’m not concerned about the code issue because the system is not functioning at all, and there are no codes being thrown. So, I feel that something has been done to the truck to erase the electronic impact of a worn out autoride system.

Thanks a ton.

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put in beltech 4" drop springs and beltech shocks all around all I did was pull the RTD fuse and all was solved

OP
OP

30579it

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m not really wanting to lower my truck at this point because I just put some 285 tires on it.

Would regular gas shocks still bolt on if I used stock height springs?

Dan Acosta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. As far as I can tell, the original autoride system is still present: compressor, air bladder shocks, sensor arms, etc are all still on the truck. The dash is clear of any lights besides a random ABS light that is thrown every once in a while (faulty sensor).

———-My main question: can regular, gas shocks be physically installed on my autoride equipped Tahoe without modifying (ie. welding new brackets) parts? —————-

I’m not concerned about the code issue because the system is not functioning at all, and there are no codes being thrown. So, I feel that something has been done to the truck to erase the electronic impact of a worn out autoride system.

Thanks a ton.
You can bolt them on without modifications to truck. Previous owner may have just removed a fuse or something to eliminate code. But there is no mods needed. Original Autoride shocks bolt up just like non autoride, just have some wires connected, and in rear wires and air hose. The autoride system may also be functioning properly and there are no codes. The compressor is just for auto leveling, but the electronic portion of the shock may be functioning properly - just fyi.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shocks will bolt on but the springs might feel soft due to the autoride shocks doing some of the supporting of the rear. Most guys go with the Z71 springs to compensate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157

Latest posts