Going down from 26" stock ride height to dropped 24" - need some help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

homie1515

Reaction score
First of all, Im new here, so what's up everybody. Glad to see a quality Tahoe forum. Most of the others can't really call themselves good forums.

Anyway, I have an '07 LT that has been riding on 26" Giovanna Rims with 305/30/26 Kuhmo Excsta (sp) tires. Some rubbing on full U-turns, but when there are pot-holes in the street i literally cringe. This is my daily driver so enough was enough and i decided to downgrade and go with some KMC Slides 24" with 305/35/24 tires.

Here are my questions/dilemmas:

1) Will going down to the 24" with that tire size improve my ride (its terrible now with the 26" but i've grown accustomed to it)

2) Will the tires be more resilient to flats and slow air leaks (im plagues by slow leaks)

3) What drop should I get with the 24" so they fill out the wheel well more. The 26" took up so much space i never really needed to drop it, but now I def want to look into a drop for aesthetics as well as improving the drivability.

4) is there a big difference in the manufacturer of the tire i chose? the rim place is offering my Nexans or Falken tires to stay below my budget, but I dont want a flat so im willing to pay a little more for some sense of security.

Thanks

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Welcome on man! :Handshake:
1. 24s will increase ride comfort, but you may still not get that good of a ride, I recommend running Bilstein HD shocks on all four corners, also don't get some ****** tires with the new 24s, run some Nitto 420s tires.

2. More resilient to flats and air leaks, yeah. Only because people don't mount 26s right on the tires and that why those issues happen. Most can mount 24s right though. Use good places like Discount Tire or NTB who will fix anything for free they don't do right.

3. Get a 2/3 ddrop, best for a daily driver. Use spindles up front, and coils out back (suggest the Pedders 2425 rear coils) with shock extenders, you will have the best ride quality with this setup.

4. Nexens and Flakens are alright, but to be hassle free, go Hankook, Nitto, Toyo and maybe even Sumitomo. All these tires will go flat just as easy as the other brands, only some brands use BS materials so stay away from those like Fullrun and Sunny tires.

OP
OP
H

homie1515

Reaction score
so it looks like im going with hankook or nitto depending on which i can get for a better price, im trying to do this all locally.

could you be more specific in what i should get as far as dropping goes. I don;t want to be slammed, i dont carry lumber, i like it when the tahoe looks level and the well looks full, i dont want my 24s to look like 20s.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
For a level look go with a 2/4 drop.
I say you message Tim the McG vendor on here, or call his shop, and he will get you spindles for $230.
Then message DJMDIRECT, the Belltech/DJM vendor on here and he will get you the Belltech 23323 rear 4" drop and Belltech 6651 shock extenders for a good price.

OP
OP
H

homie1515

Reaction score
and i shouldnt have any rubbing or anything like that and itll still be a good daily driver (remember good is all relative to my current 26" driving when i cringe going down the road)

Tonygxp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're trading one for the other. dropping the ride height will increase and transmit impacts from bumps/holes into the truck. Bilsteins would help but if you go with the 24's and lower it i will bet you will not see an improvement apart fromt the slow leaks. My friend's in NY & Philly with 22's still blow tries out on potholes, i can't imagine 24's or bigger.. Good Luck.

OP
OP
H

homie1515

Reaction score
sounds like i wont feel anymore secure if i drop the car. What suggestions do you have then. right now in my 26''s i feel everything and every shutter makes me think i have a flat. maybe thats just in my head, but i had driving and feeling like my car might be falling apart. if i stick with stock and go to 24''s im hoping the drive will be more comfortable.

maybe there are even some suspension upgrades i could do to just level out the back or just upgrade the quality of shocks and springs to get a better more comfortable ride.

OP
OP
H

homie1515

Reaction score
within the next couple days.

what if i just wanted to level out the back.

now everyone got me thinking a 24" with a 2/3 or 2/4 is gonna be worse then my 26"s now.

Narco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i went with 22s to play it safe.

modded - i got bilstein HDs in the rear after my drop and it seems really stiff. is that normal? id like a softer rear end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oscarrgv