GMT800 on star temp rear view mirror cold temp malfunction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burban22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noticed my rear view mirror freaks out when cold. Works fine when warm. Any ideas what causes this?
2003 suburban z71

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Noticed my rear view mirror freaks out when cold. Works fine when warm. Any ideas what causes this?
2003 suburban z71
time to hit the junkyard and just grab another one, take it with you or take pictures to match it up.
has to be the same function/plugs, a different mirror won't work, will fit but wont work.
you could take it apart and maybe find loose solder somewhere but probably not worth the hassle, mirrors are cheap in the yard.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you got busted solder on the board inside it. theres a few vids on yt showing what to check and re solder, i need to do mine still. one day it was just gone and never came back since.

OP
OP
Burban22

Burban22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like they’re about $30 shipped on eBay. May just go that route instead of driving out to junkyard. First I’ll checkout YouTube repair video and give that a go.

I guess 2003 wasn’t the best year for electronics? First my radio had problems in the cold now the mirror

Blame lead free soldier!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Burban22

Burban22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced mirror which also resolved several reoccurring codes:

U1096 lost communication with instrument cluster
U1016 Lost communication with Powertrain Control Module
U1000 Class 2 Data Link Malfunction
U1151 Loss of VIU communications Loss of onstar communication.
U1067 Lost communication with rear seat audio / rear HVAC

I guess when my old mirror would randomly power on and off it would trigger several of the above codes. It's been a week and I haven't seen any of these come back...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Speardog