GM Support

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Les W

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First I want to say thank you for all the support and opinions this site gives. There is a lot of knowledge and diversity among the members that helps resolve many issues.

Now for my question, I have noticed thru many threads a reply from someone connected to GM Service in resolving some issues. I would like elevate my concerns higher than local dealership for no fix or remedy in the Takata airbags and the cracked dash on my 08 Denali. Can someone help direct me to a contact source. I have read that some dealerships are splitting the cost for dash replacements and some have had backing from GM service. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I can guarantee that if you write GM a sincere and detailed letter expressing your concern about your wife and kids in a vehicle that has a known defective air bag, they will respond.

Inform them that you are taking their word it’s safe to operate in the current recall condition and you just wanted to let them know your there if they determine it’s suddenly unsafe. Reassure them your trust in their product is undaunted and you trust them with your families safety and well being.

Make sure to include the certified letter tracking number on the letter. Follow up with another letter that includes a copy of the first letter, tracking number, date delivered and a copy of the green card you got back with who signed for the letter.

It’s on the to do list for my 08 Denali XL. The paper trail is a nice way to discuss duty of care with GM. It suggests your vehicle is in their best (financial) interest to fix first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nashoba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My recall letter is still in my glove box on my 2008 Tahoe Hybrid. I have stopped asking about getting it taken care of as the dealership always says they will call me when they have the parts. My guess is that they are taking care of the new models first an working their way down to the older models for the recall completion. Been buying from my local dealership for about 50 years through four different owners and each one has treated me with different levels of respect/concern. This last owner, in effect for the last two years or so, may be as good as the first one was back in the 60s through the 80s, so we shall see if they are going to get anything done on the airbag recall.

Ex Euro Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you are the original owner and have been a loyal customer to GM for years and years, I highly doubt they will feel obligated to offer any help on a 10 year old SUV. Good luck however, every dealer is different.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doing what Michael said is probably the best way to express your concerns about both issues, but don't hold your breath for GM to pay for a resolution. The airbag situation isn't and probably will never be resolved due to the multiple parties and the age of the vehicles and parts involved. There's a very slim chance for help with dash replacement, but pretty much only a chance because replacement parts are available. If the cracked dash is a safety concern for you, is it enough of a safety concern that you'd foot the bill yourself or leave it in hopes GM will help?

Nashoba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't expect it to ever be fixed, iamdub. But I do expect to file a law suit if we ever have an accident and the air bag does not inflate properly. The letter from Chevrolet is dated three years ago so they have admitted responsibility for the defect and there is a record of non-compliance on their part. I don't have much to do any more, so perhaps filing suit will give me something to do with all my spare time. But I'd rather not have an accident, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic