GM lying about fuel rating, or i drive it too hard?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leon00000

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello guys! This is my first GM vehicle, My LT has 5000 km on it now, no towing, most on highway and never had jammed traffic. and i just check the trip computer today, and i got 18L/100km.. Their website claim fuel consumption as 11.8L/100km Highway and 14.3 city (I am in Canada, if goes to mpg should be 15/20).

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
GM's claims are always under optimal conditions. No defroster on that cycles the a/c compressor, unless of course that is different on the new rigs. Completely smooth road conditions with likely no hills at all. Driven with a very light foot. Tire pressure at optimum inflation. Even a driver that likely weighs no more than 150 pounds. Etc.......

So, did you really really expect to match the GM claims?

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long are you letting it warm up before driving off? First starts are always the hardest on fuel mileage. Colder weather will mean a longer warm up time. If you have any uphill climb first thing in the morning that will more negatively affect your mileage than if your first start is downhill.

I always have better fuel mileage on my drive home than my drive to work. The engine may still be cold starting my drive home, but not as stone cold as first thing in the morning. This is also due to the fact that day time temperatures are warmer than nighttime temperatures.

On my '02, i generally get about 17 L/100km on my drive in, and 16 L/100km on my drive home. This is 80% freeway driving, but some hills are involved too.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its pretty well been proven that petrol vehicles rarely attain/maintain advertised MPG estimates. In a tough environment it could be less... substantially less.
Tis vehicle never was about getting great MPG, so the above results should surprise no one, including the OP.

Ironically, though, Diesel vehicles usually exceed the EPA estimates for some reason?

RugbyRef

Reaction score
In my never-ending quest for useless information, I have (at times) come across info that is actually useful...depending on who wants to use it. So...that all being said...here's some info for the OP that might give him an idea as to where his KPH or MPG ratings come from.

gaslabel.jpg

The above pic is a typical label you will see on almost all new cars. Sometimes it's on the window sticker and sometimes it might be in the glove box...who knows!

Not going to break all of the numbers down. You can read all about them here - https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/label/learn-more-gasoline-label.shtml

The number I think that will put things in to perspective is #2 on the label. That designates Fuel Economy. "For gasoline vehicles, the label shows City, Highway, and Combined MPG (miles per gallon) values. The Combined MPG value is the most prominent for the purpose of quick and easy comparison across vehicles. Some form of the miles per gallon metric has been on vehicle labels since 1977. Combined fuel economy is a weighted average of City and Highway MPG values that is calculated by weighting the City value by 55% and the Highway value by 45%."

#3 on the label is showing a comparison fuel economy to other vehicles in that class (i.e. small SUV, large SUV, pickup truck, etc.).

Not sure if the U.S. standards for measuring are the same for Canada, but I'm assuming they are very close.

Anyway...there ya go!

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
GM can’t afford to lie about those figures, remember what happened to VW when they cheated on emissions testing? False results would cause a class action lawsuit of immense cost. Most people don’t drive like the EPA test cycle. But blame the EPA if you disagree with that. Carmakers do not determine the test conditions!

And of course some conservative drivers can beat the test loop results. However you’ll find them on different forums. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC