Would I Benefit From A Black Bear Tune?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mals

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a stock 2005 6.0L Yukon Denali that I purchased last year primarily as a tow vehicle for a travel trailer. Over the last eight months I've tracked my fuel consumption and hear is what I've been seeing:

Towing: 8-11 mpg (depending on terrain of the trip)
City: 13-15 mpg (Basically short trips around town)
Highway: 17-17.5 mpg (long non-stop all highway tank)​

I've seen that a lot of people tune their vehicles so that the tow/haul button actually engages a "sport mode", but I am actually interested in the opposite. Is it possible to tune the vehicle so that the tow/haul mode is enhanced? I've been happy with the general performance of my Yukon, both around town and towing, but I'd be happy to enhance the experience.

My long term goal is to eventually take some long mutli-week, 1000-2000+ mile road trips with the trailer, so even a slight improvement in my towing mpg would help offset the cost of the tune over a season or two.

I also wanted to confirm that if I purchased a used AutoCal that come up from time to time here in the classifieds, that the current price to transfer a license and tune a new vehicle is $325.

Thanks for any input or suggestions you may have.

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for contacting us about a tune. We can enhance the tow haul mode but we call that sport mode as well. The gains that we usually see with your vehicle is 25-35hp, 20-25ft-lbs, and 1-2mpg with improved shift patterns and throttle response, all depending on fuel quality, octane and vehicle condition prior to the tune. If the AutoCal is purchased from us the tune and license is $325, if it purchased from another company the tune and license is $350. You may also have to contact them to un-link the device. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whether you do a in-person tune of via AutoCal, you will enjoy your truck even more once certain parameters like the shift points, speedometer calibrations, up the RPMs and tow/haul ass mode (i mean sport mode lol) are adjusted. And with that 6.0, you will be surprised by what can be changed with just a few key strokes so to speak.

I say go for it. I have really enjoyed the changes it made to my 06 Tahoe. She will never be a race car or match the 6.0 power (I have a 4.8L), but she is still fun to drive. When I mash the pedal to WOT, she downshifts and goes. The 1-2 shift points are tight and the RPMs run longer thru the range if you know what I mean. I am also leaning towards tuning my NNBS too. Plenty of guys on here will vouch for the same results. Good luck with your decision.

OP
OP
mals

mals

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the AutoCal is purchased from us the tune and license is $325, if it purchased from another company the tune and license is $350. You may also have to contact them to un-link the device.
Thanks for getting back to me. I spent some time researching how Autocals are linked to specific Flashscan V2 units, and what the process is for getting them unlinked from their original tuners after you brought that detail to my attention.

I thought I had a line on a reasonably priced used unit, I contacted the seller, and they gave me the details on the original tuner that they purchased it from. I then contacted them about the possibility of getting a remote unlink code for the Autocal. They were nice about it, but told me that their policy is not to offer remote unlink codes, and that I could send it in to them and for $100 plus return shipping they would unlink it and remove all of their company information from the unit. At that point it removed most of the savings of buying a used unit, and my interest in looking at other tuner's Autocals.

Today I was able to work out a deal with a person on the GMFS forum that had a Black Bear specific Autocal that he had used on a 2011 NNBS and a 2015 Silverado HD. So, I should have it in a week or two, and will reach out to your company after that about starting the process of getting a new tow friendly tune into my Yukon and seeing what it's 6.0L can really do.

-mals

Last edited:

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to me. I spent some time researching how Autocals are linked to specific Flashscan V2 units, and what the process is for getting them unlinked from their original tuners after you brought that detail to my attention.

I thought I had a line on a reasonably priced used unit, I contacted the seller, and they gave me the details on the original tuner that they purchased it from. I then contacted them about the possibility of getting a remote unlink code for the Autocal. They were nice about it, but told me that their policy is not to offer remote unlink codes, and that I could send it in to them and for $100 plus return shipping they would unlink it and remove all of their company information from the unit. At that point it removed most of the savings of buying a used unit, and my interest in looking at other tuner's Autocals.

Today I was able to work out a deal with a person on the GMFS forum that had a Black Bear specific Autocal that he had used on a 2011 NNBS and a 2015 Silverado HD. So, I should have it in a week or two, and will reach out to your company after that about starting the process of getting a new tow friendly tune into my Yukon and seeing what it's 6.0L can really do.

-mals

I am glad you got that worked out. We will be happy to tune your vehicle!

Dank Denali

Reaction score
Thank you for contacting us about a tune. We can enhance the tow haul mode but we call that sport mode as well. The gains that we usually see with your vehicle is 25-35hp, 20-25ft-lbs, and 1-2mpg with improved shift patterns and throttle response, all depending on fuel quality, octane and vehicle condition prior to the tune. If the AutoCal is purchased from us the tune and license is $325, if it purchased from another company the tune and license is $350. You may also have to contact them to un-link the device. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Are these gains about the same for a 2013 6.2 Denali AWD?

sfc_jones

Reaction score
Guy Tripp (SoCal) tuned my older 2002 Suburban using Efile Live and what a difference it makes on a stock motor.