2016 Tahoe - Boston

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Garandman

Reaction score
We have three kids and a Labrador Retriever, and often take friends on trips. Along with other vehicles I have a Subaru Outback 3.6R and my wife was driving a 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite, which had a set of rims with Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 winter tires for ski trips.

We have a 21’ RibCraft and had a Melges 24 sailboat, both easily towed by the 6 cyl Outback. But my wife wanted to sail a heavier bost called a Thunderbird, which is about 5,000 lbs on the Trailer, and we have to tow it back from Canada, 600 Miles. That’s more than most unibodies can handle.

We’ve always towed bigger boats with cargo vans (most recently a Chevy Express 2500 and a Ford Transit T250 with. EcoBoost 3.5) but as we live in Boston it would be another vehicle to park. So I told my wife she was going to have to get an Expedition, Sequoia or Tahoe. We rented a Sequoia for a week to see what it was like in the city and on trips, and while you give up a lot of cargo room and utility and mpg compared to a minivan, it would still hold 6-7 people and wasn’t a lot bigger footprint than the Odyssey (203” Long, 79.6” wide). Suburbans (and most pickups) don’t really work in the city because they are 224” Long and city parking spaces are 20’ - 240”.

We started looking for used SUV’s with tow packages, and a 2016 Tahoe LT with Max Towing popped up locally and I made the deal with the owner. We’d checked out complaints about excessive oil consumption in 5.3’s and that seems to have been remedied 2014-on and we are assuming the rusting brake lines of older models have been remedied as well. While the Ford has the terrific 3.5L EcoBoost and independent rear suspension, we know lots of people who used Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban for heavy towing for well over 200,000 Miles with few serious problems.

Frankly the Odyssey can drive rings around the Tahoe while having more useful space and getting 3-4mpg better mileage. But we have to tow what we have to tow so that’s what we have and I’ll keep driving the OBW.

We’ve put about 200 Miles on it so far and the Trip computer shows 15.4. Bought some drawbars and plug converters, WeatherTech floor mats, mirror extensions, etc. Also bought some 18” Z71 rims (takeoffs) for winter tires as it came with 20” polished rims with “ All Season” tires and that doesn’t work very well for Ski country.

We depart for Ontario first week in October. Boat will get towed to Boston for a once-over than to a Boat Shop, then to Winter storage and get launched next spring. Maybe I’ll get an enclosed snowmobile/motorcycle trailer in the meantime!

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Beach&Brooklyn N.Y Dana!! You made the right move buying the 16 Tahoe.

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
howdy
sounds like a good purchase

i take it you like garands too?

OP
OP
Garandman

Garandman

Reaction score
Drove the not quite 600 miles to pickup the boat in Whitby, Ontario. We’d paid a local mechanic to grease the wheel bearings and check the tires. Brought magnet mount Trailer lights we used in lieu of the trailer lights, which were trashed.

Total weight was probably about 5,400 lbs. Like most keelboats you are moving a lot of air, but like most this trailer tows bow first.

Our Chevy Express van had a 4.8 and wasn’t great over 5,000 lbs, but the additional power of the 5.3 and more speeds made it a lot better and I’m OK with it: was concerned that we would miss the 6.0 in the Yukon.

IIRC the towing mpg was 12.5. That’s actually pretty good as our vans would be down around 11 for this size trailer.

Left Whitby around noon and stopped several times to check everything. Wound up adding to heavy duty ratchet straps to keep the keel in place. Hit the border around 4 and paperwork was 45-60 minutes. Drove until dark, spent the night in upstate NY and hit Boston Harbor that afternoon.

i-hDTkJfV-L.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu