Gm Brembo upgrade added...sluggish acceleration and much lower mpg.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So how much did your mileage go down due to the added rotational weight? :) [reference to the earlier posts about that being the cause]
It wont go down at all. Its a moot point. It wasnt due to the added weight.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So how much did your mileage go down due to the added rotational weight? :) [reference to the earlier posts about that being the cause]
No his mileage went down because 1 caliper was sticking and dragging the car down substantially all while having a very minimal amount of temp difference and no pulling if you can believe that !

Or that's just what the dealer said lol.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my sarcasm was missed on the above 2 replies :)
My reply was also sarcastic as there are guys here who don't know the difference of sprung and unsprung weight and how much of a difference rotational mass can make.

But no need to argue when the material isn't fit for the group listening. Glad OP got it sorted.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My reply was also sarcastic as there are guys here who don't know the difference of sprung and unsprung weight and how much of a difference rotational mass can make.

But no need to argue when the material isn't fit for the group listening. Glad OP got it sorted.

I know exacting how unsprung weight can change vehicle handling. But, I mean, how much more do these super huge brakes actually weigh in comparison to the factory ones? Is it really even that much?

I have changed wheel and tire packages on vehicles that have an added weight difference of 50 pounds more, and the tires were also taller…both of which would make a much bigger difference in rotational mass than what heavier brakes ever could. While the change is certainly noticeable, it didnt make the vehicle terrible to drive.

Theres just no way a slightly heavier brake setup would absolutely kill vehicle performance like the OP was experiencing.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know exacting how unsprung weight can change vehicle handling. But, I mean, how much more do these super huge brakes actually weigh in comparison to the factory ones? Is it really even that much?

I have changed wheel and tire packages on vehicles that have an added weight difference of 50 pounds more, and the tires were also taller…both of which would make a much bigger difference in rotational mass than what heavier brakes ever could. While the change is certainly noticeable, it didnt make the vehicle terrible to drive.

Theres just no way a slightly heavier brake setup would absolutely kill vehicle performance like the OP was experiencing.
No one is saying it will be a crazy difference. But it can be noticeable. Clearly OPs problem was elsewhere but is still something to think about.

Its been beaten to death in this thread. So id rather not keep that chain going.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haaaaa gotchya. I thought u were insinuating that his problem was the added weight of the brakes. I agree, a lot going on in this thread!

brucemac

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey, I have these on order and am anxious to install. In the notes it says that the break wear indicator has to be turned off. Anybody know how you do this? Is it more to point out that that piece of telemetry is inaccurate, or is it legitimately something that has to be turned off? If so, does it have to be performed by the dealer, or can the customer do this in the field?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Oh boy. :rolleyes:

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ignorance here is palpable lol. 20 pages on floor matts, turns out everyone just installed them incorrectly lmao.

I forget this isn't a enthusiast forum like im used to and most have never worked on their vehicles before.

Makes the experience better with that realization.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu