Gm Brembo upgrade added...sluggish acceleration and much lower mpg.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Seems to me that someone must have touched the rear brakes, maybe I missed something but sounds like fronts were done and then there was an issue and it’s pointing to the rears. Maybe they did a pad slap on the rears and dorked it up. I once accidentally (read dumbass) installed my rear pads wrong, insides on the outside, they were tight when I reinstalled calipers over rotors but didn’t think anything of it, attributed it to the new pads, I immediately knew something was wrong before I got to the end of my street, didn’t feel right and I knew they were dragging just like OP, I returned and they were warm from the short trip. They rotated ok but not nice and free. I messed with the parking brake adjust but that didn’t change and I even replaced a calliper because piston didn’t seem to compress all they way. I finally figured it out because the rivots that hold the pad material to the plates were interfering with the calliper contact point on the outside and with the piston on the inside. I swore at myself a bunch but once I swapped them and put them in the correct way (squealer on the inside pad) (dumbass) calliper slid back on like no one’s business and life was good, no more dragging!! Lesson learned!!

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems to me that someone must have touched the rear brakes, maybe I missed something but sounds like fronts were done and then there was an issue and it’s pointing to the rears. Maybe they did a pad slap on the rears and dorked it up. I once accidentally (read dumbass) installed my rear pads wrong, insides on the outside, they were tight when I reinstalled calipers over rotors but didn’t think anything of it, attributed it to the new pads, I immediately knew something was wrong before I got to the end of my street, didn’t feel right and I knew they were dragging just like OP, I returned and they were warm from the short trip. They rotated ok but not nice and free. I messed with the parking brake adjust but that didn’t change and I even replaced a calliper because piston didn’t seem to compress all they way. I finally figured it out because the rivots that hold the pad material to the plates were interfering with the calliper contact point on the outside and with the piston on the inside. I swore at myself a bunch but once I swapped them and put them in the correct way (squealer on the inside pad) (dumbass) calliper slid back on like no one’s business and life was good, no more dragging!! Lesson learned!!
All, the GM Brembo Upgrade includes rear calipers as well (they are the same as the Stock calipers, but are painted red to match). I assumed, perhaps wrongly, that the OP said he got the GM Brembo upgrade, that they swapped the rear calipers too. OP said that the folks at the dealer found “something” and they are investigating further. Let’s see what he has to say after they complete the investigation.

Thrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All, the GM Brembo Upgrade includes rear calipers as well (they are the same as the Stock calipers, but are painted red to match). I assumed, perhaps wrongly, that the OP said he got the GM Brembo upgrade, that they swapped the rear calipers too. OP said that the folks at the dealer found “something” and they are investigating further. Let’s see what he has to say after they complete the investigation.
You probably need to verify that statement. Need the OP to clarify if they did all 4 locations or just the fronts.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You probably need to verify that statement. Need the OP to clarify if they did all 4 locations or just the fronts.
You are right; guess the rears are a second accessory…so yes; need op to answer.

Reaction score
Ya for sure, will be great to hear what they find. Seems to me, before the job, all was well and now seems rears are dragging so is why I piped in with my story about my screwup. Like one of the others members commented, you never know who might have done what, sometimes, if a journeyman is doing the fronts, an apprentice or shop hand might have got charged with the rear slap, just spit ballin but is not an unlikely scenario in my experience.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
60 degrees difference is almost a complete moot point.

Ive had brake calipers stick in the past. The last one that i actually measured with my infrared gun was over 700 degrees. And that was on a little minivan in which i honestly couldnt even hardly tell it was sticking as far as driving went…other than the burning hot smell lol.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
60 degrees difference is almost a complete moot point.

Ive had brake calipers stick in the past. The last one that i actually measured with my infrared gun was over 700 degrees. And that was on a little minivan in which i honestly couldnt even hardly tell it was sticking as far as driving went…other than the burning hot smell lol.
My point exactly.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m still wondering about OP’s earlier comment about grooves in left rear rotor.

Yes…that definitely caught my attention too. Obviously should not be any of that this early in the game so something is definitely funky…but a dragging brake is gonna get A LOT hotter than 200 degrees.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518