Gibson Headers..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bkboatnsleds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have them?

I installed them on my truck lastnight - I cant tell if its an exhaust leak or its the way these should sound.. I hear some "ticking" on acceleration. I feel its a leak but my buddy thinks its they way they should sound...

Thoughts? How do your sound?!

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
you will hear more exhaust 'tinging' with headers for sure, over heavy cast iron manifolds. With truck running, look and feel around header flange.

OP
OP
bkboatnsleds

bkboatnsleds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked everywhere, felt everywhere - even took down the collector again and put some RTV in there.

Sounds more on the passenger side than anywhere - Idle - not so much under load you can hear it for sure. Outside the truck its not nearly as noticable as it is inside when running it.

I feel / see no sighns of a leak - I just cant believe this is how it should sound. If this is the case - I am going back to stock for sure!!

Headers for sale!!!:emotions122:

Just weird how its more on the pass side

ONLY thing I didn't do is put rtv on the actual gaskets that bolt up to the block.

Sounds great outside the truck - sounds like shit when ya are driving..

rob71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You won't be able to find a leak by just looking. Here's the method I've used to find exhaust manifold leaks (and cracks): Take a 3-4 ft length of vacuum hose or other flexible tubing (something like 1/8" to 1/4" dia hose), stick one end of it in your ear. With the engine running, move the other end of the hose around the header, going around the gasket areas. If the end of the hose is over a leak, you will hear it through the hose and get a very good idea of where exactly the leak is. You should be able to find even a "quiet" leak that way.

OP
OP
bkboatnsleds

bkboatnsleds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually tried the tube idea the other day ... nothing - I honestly do not think they are leaking - I think its just the way they are b/c of the thin walls and the engine noise resonates through the tubes easier..

I think im going back to stock - not worth this headache..

IanSLT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you gone thru the effort of installing the headers and it seems as though its just a niose issue what about wrapping the header pipes with some thermal wrap as this may deaden the tiny sound and also provide you with a heat shield or sorts. Did you try a mixture of soup and water and soak a deadicated area's and then watch for air bubbles to occur while the motor is running similar to the way pipe fitters test pipe welds (albeit a rootamentary test).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Speardog