Getting Rid Of Smoke Smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donkey Punch

Panantukan
Reaction score
Depending on the severity of the smoke odor, the proper cleaning of the headliner may be impossible. Replacement would be the best option if its really bad. But renting an Ozone machine or even taking the car to a cleaning and restoration company and they would be able to do it for you. Ozone works great although it does affect natural rubber but using it once or twice wont have adverse affects on door seals etc.

Ozone will work even better if you are able to heat up the air in the cabin, so if its pretty hot where you live simply leave the car outside and make sure you seal up the window opening well. The heat will basically open up the pores on the material and be able to ********* it that much better and you wont need to run the unit for very long. For example if the cabin air temp is 100 degrees I would say 2 to 3 hours or so. If you have any medical conditions like asthma etc be careful!! air it out before you sit in it to avoid any over exposure. I do this for a living so if you have any questions feel free to PM me and i'll help you out.

imigyjunia

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It sounds like a good idea. I always use dry flowers or orange peel to improve the smell in my car.

bwright81

Reaction score
i saw on an infomercial last week that you just cut an apple in half and leave it in there overnight, supposedly absorbs the smell of the smoke, i am a smoker also so i might try it

scawer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It sounds like a good idea. I always use dry flowers or orange peel to improve the smell in my car.

I also use the same like you do in order to improve the smell. I always dry flowers when I get one and the scent of them is great. A few months ago I found a florist with free delivery and due to this I often order flowers online and then I dry them. Besides this orange peels are also great for improving the smell.

thehoe92

fo sho
Reaction score
between the mixture of ozium, leaving baking soda in the car, shampooing/vacuuming the carpet and seats, cleaning your windows (the smoke will leave a film on the windows which contributes to the smell), buying a 6 pack of black ice scented trees and febreze and until you quit smoking only when you are driving and not while you are sitting in the car parked the smell will be very minimal

I used to take the vent on the passenger side closest to the driver out and put a black ice tree in the venting system so whenever the a/c or heater was on it would blow out something other than smoke

I'm a smoker as well and I've always been complimented on the smell of my car rather than anyone mentioning the smell of smoke

once you have done all that make sure you regularly vacuum because the ash regardless if you have the windows down will get onto the carpet in the most inconspicuous spots

this might be an obvious one but if you have an ashtray or ash in your nali.. quit it
you'll never get rid of the smell

hope this helps!

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
i would never let people smoke in my hoe.... but if i needed to remove oder then id use fabrees and some money air scented things i got in my drore for when i need them:)... id also just let the car wash people handle it lolz

randuff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vinegar, vinegar, vinegar!!!

When I got rid of my 07 Tahoe I took 3 plastic bowls and poured white vinegar in them with a kitchen towel/wash rag to soak in the vinegar. Put one in the drivers floor one in the middle row and one in the back.

The vinegar soaked towels will draw in the smoke odor, the Tahoe will smell like vinegar for a while depending on how much you use, but vinegar smell dissipates whereas smoke will not.

You should start with a good wiping down and vacuuming of the truck first.

I learned of this when a rat died in the ceiling of where I previously worked and the maintenance guy put a bowl of vinegar up there to soak in the odor.

Most other things mask the odor and not remove it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Speardog