Getting new rear axles - should I change from Gov bomb to Truetrack?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello again,
2006 5.3L 167k miles. About 44k ago the rear end carrier bearings were replaced and the tech said the axle bearings were starting to go but I could keep driving it. It is now leaking a bit more and getting on the parking brake shoes on one side. So it is time to renew the axles. I removed the brake disk and was able to lift the axle up and down and make it click/clunk pretty good. The place mentioned going to a Truetrack compared to checking out the Gov bomb. I guess it is about $500 for the Truetrack. Pros/Cons? Thanks.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no idea one way or the other, which way you should go.
But my 04 Z71 is nearing 200k miles on a "Gov bomb"...

OP
OP

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some say that the Gov bomb can go boom. However, as you say they can also last a long time. I think when they are in there the springs can be replaced to reduce the risk of boom. Thanks.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Trutrac is very intriguing and fascinating to me. I just had my rear rebuilt and I wasn't aware of that in time or I would have requested it be installed. Plus I was in a hurry and didn't want to wait. Truck was down for over 2 weeks as it was. They told me they put an Auburn LS in it.

OP
OP

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are some very good videos on how the Govlock works. A bit complicated if you ask me. I didn't know they also have clutches. Not sure if the oil is required to have some sort of friction modifier, I don't think that is needed.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't slide your truck sideways, have big tires, big power, avoid harsh drivetrain impacts such as reving it up in neutral and then dropping it into drive, or reverse to drive shifts while on the throttle. The G80 will last a long time and is in some ways better than a Truetrac. I personally find the truetrac to work very well for a standard truck application such as towing, off roading, and incliment weather driving. If you want to drift, do burnouts, or drag race a truetrac may be a better option.

OP
OP

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't slide your truck sideways, have big tires, big power, avoid harsh drivetrain impacts such as reving it up in neutral and then dropping it into drive, or reverse to drive shifts while on the throttle. The G80 will last a long time and is in some ways better than a Truetrac. I personally find the truetrac to work very well for a standard truck application such as towing, off roading, and incliment weather driving. If you want to drift, do burnouts, or drag race a truetrac may be a better option.
I tend to agree. I don't really need the feature of a Truetrac. As long as the Govlock doesn't break I'll be fine.

asand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced mine with a Yukon Duragrip and love it. If you live anywhet is snow or freezes I would swap it out. The way the governor works is pretty violent, and a good one wheel peel on a patch of ice could be all it takes to grenade.

OP
OP

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll see what the guy says. It is very seldom I get in a slippery situation so I might just go with Gov Bomb and hope the clutches slip somewhat.

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a reman g80 on mine as I dont really beat on it much. Once I get a new engine with mods I will prob replace it with a true trac, for the time being I'm happy with the Gov bomb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65