Get a third key?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The liability with non-dealership entities cutting car keys is car theft, not them screwing up your ignition. If a key doesn't work, it won't start your car...if you break the damn thing trying to force it, that's on you lol. You usually need to provide proof of ownership and photo ID before any place will duplicate an ignition key, but some places don't bother checking. Dealerships cut the key based on the VIN (as opposed to copying one of your existing keys like a locksmith would do) so you know it's perfect. If you have a good quality key then you might be ok with taking to walmart/ace/home depot/whoever, but if the key doesn't work you're SOL. It's not like they'll refund your money if the key won't start your car, and most places like that don't have people on hand who are knowledgeable enough to figure out why it's not working if it's just a hair off.

As for programming, don't pay the dealership for that. You can do it yourself in your driveway. Now I could be wrong but I don't think you have to do all of the keys at once. All of the *FOBS* need to be programmed via the DIC at the same time, but for the actual keys I believe you just insert the key into the dash and turn it to the "on" position", then take it out and immediately insert the key to be programmed, turn it to the "on" position and leave it there for 10 minutes or so while the computer reads the chip of the new key and codes it with your vehicle's transponder signal. The little security light should go out when this process is complete. If you want to add more keys beyond that, I think the process is the same - take a master key and use it to activate programming mode, then insert the new key and leave it until the light goes out.

I ordered couple keys and fobs on ebay a couple months ago for $90, which is less than the cost of one 6-button fob from the dealership. I had the programming directions laying around here for the keys but I have yet to get them cut, so I put it all aside somewhere...

Last edited:

Xshooterx

Reaction score
Other keys that are not present during the programming of the new key will still work just fine. I just did this with an amazon key cut by Ace hardware. Used the key I had to program it in the parking lot, got home and tried the other key and it was the same as it always was. $15 for the key and $3 for Ace. Much better than $90 from the dealer. I opted for a factory chevy key, but you can get generics for much cheaper. And in different colors if you're into that sort of thing.

njblake94

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
the car is a non transponder. find a local shop that can cut keys and theyll copy it for probably ten dollars

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

if you get a z key cut for it with the transponder you put your old key in, wait for the security light to go out, turn the car on then turn it off put the unprogrammed key in turn it on and wait for the security light to go out and start it. did it yesterday in a impala took less than two minutes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dev00