GeorgeB’s 2013 Suburban LTZ “Fin”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At least they are gone. I hate having things like that sit around.
Thats almost half what I paid for them and I got half the life out if them. They sucked anyway!
Sounds like a win to me. Congratulations on the sell

OP
OP
George B

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Did a little Autocal programing tonight. Last fall I asked Blackbear for a TCM tune that would hold 1st gear longer. They delivered and it did hold 1st longer, not quite as long as I would have liked but it was better. I have driven with that tune for a while now and noted that the trans would hunt, downshift a little soon with slight throttle increase and it would flare the 1-2 shift cold sometimes. When I got a new set of tires that were 10lbs. Lighter I noticed it would hold it’s gears longer before a downshift but not in a lugging way.
So, I decided to try loading my first MODTCM trans tune file to see how it would perform. I still feel like it upshifts a little sooner than I would like but I think its better this way. It does hold its gears longer for nice, hunting free, city driving and she still runs like a scalded dog when I get on it.

One thing I wish I knew was how to load my Autocal with separate files. I currently have two quick start files. One from 7/22 and one from 10/22. The former has the first tune files and the latter has updated files for both the ecm and tcm. I wanted to load the newer ecm files along with the older tcm file but couldn’t figure out how to do it. I wondered if it was something to do with creating a new quick start file. I was a little gun shy to mess it up. Any pointers?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did a little Autocal programing tonight. Last fall I asked Blackbear for a TCM tune that would hold 1st gear longer. They delivered and it did hold 1st longer, not quite as long as I would have liked but it was better. I have driven with that tune for a while now and noted that the trans would hunt, downshift a little soon with slight throttle increase and it would flare the 1-2 shift cold sometimes. When I got a new set of tires that were 10lbs. Lighter I noticed it would hold it’s gears longer before a downshift but not in a lugging way.
So, I decided to try loading my first MODTCM trans tune file to see how it would perform. I still feel like it upshifts a little sooner than I would like but I think its better this way. It does hold its gears longer for nice, hunting free, city driving and she still runs like a scalded dog when I get on it.

One thing I wish I knew was how to load my Autocal with separate files. I currently have two quick start files. One from 7/22 and one from 10/22. The former has the first tune files and the latter has updated files for both the ecm and tcm. I wanted to load the newer ecm files along with the older tcm file but couldn’t figure out how to do it. I wondered if it was something to do with creating a new quick start file. I was a little gun shy to mess it up. Any pointers?
Iirc when you open a QuickStart file, it overwrites the old file but it’s been awhile since I did it. That was one of the frustrating things about Blackbear for me- the inability to ask them a technical question over the phone, like how to do what you’re talking about. And if you send in an email, you have to ask every possible question. And then if their response raises more questions, you go back in queue. It could take weeks to get an answer. They used to send files separately so you could just cut and paste them, then they went to the QuickStart format which confused me. You can always copy all tune files from the Autocal after running the QS each time, and delete them completely off it and them copy them separately onto the Autocal I believe.

OP
OP
George B

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Iirc when you open a QuickStart file, it overwrites the old file but it’s been awhile since I did it. That was one of the frustrating things about Blackbear for me- the inability to ask them a technical question over the phone, like how to do what you’re talking about. And if you send in an email, you have to ask every possible question. And then if their response raises more questions, you go back in queue. It could take weeks to get an answer. They used to send files separately so you could just cut and paste them, then they went to the QuickStart format which confused me. You can always copy all tune files from the Autocal after running the QS each time, and delete them completely off it and them copy them separately onto the Autocal I believe.
I think I figured it out.
Referencing this. The method I used seemed to work but I may mess around with it some more.

OP
OP
George B

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Just placed the order for my replacement dash. Part number 23224742 from GMPartsNow. Used the 50% Shipping promo code. Came to $514.21 shipped. I didn't want to replace the dash but I am afraid the part will become unavailable sooner than later and I don't want a busted dash.
And, it is supposed to show up tomorrow! I will be in NC tomorrow so I will have to let my 5'3" wife handle it.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just placed the order for my replacement dash. Part number 23224742 from GMPartsNow. Used the 50% Shipping promo code. Came to $514.21 shipped. I didn't want to replace the dash but I am afraid the part will become unavailable sooner than later and I don't want a busted dash.
There's a video on youtube I watched when I did mine. Dude is really rough with stuff but looks like its at the dealer. He's filming with one hand and doing everything else with the other. It took me about two hours to swap them out. I had to take the airbag back out because I forgot to put on bolt in under it. During that, I put a tiny little scratch in my brand new dash with the bottom of the airbag....lol

You won't regret replacing it. The only regret I have is not getting the update part number because I wasn't aware it existed or even that they continued making the non-revised version. Casey ordered it for me through is work, off the vin. I just assumed it would be the newest part number.

OP
OP
George B

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
You won't regret replacing it.
Funny thing is, I only have the small crack by the air bag so it seems wrong to replace it now. I know whats coming and as Mrs GeorgeB said “get it before they stop selling replacements”. So the new one is on the way and will get installed whenever I get around to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leno1364