G80 swap into 04 Yukon Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EfiniMotorsport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 04 Yukon Denali and will be attempting to swap a push button 4wd transfer case in place of my AWD system. I'm also getting a good deal on the G80 rear axle from the same truck and want to swap it for the LSD. My axle and the one I'm getting are both 3.73. The rear ABS setup on my axle is split left and right from the ABS pump to the brakes. I replaced all my brake lines with stainless steel (hard and flex lines) so I am obviously keeping those. Is there anything else I need to do but pull and hang my brake system and electrical out of the way, unbolt all the brackets and swap one for the other? I want to make sure things like the wheel speed encoders and any other electronics are the same. The axle is from an 03 Suburban

OP
OP
E

EfiniMotorsport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know. The passenger side of the 4wd has the disconnect. I'm getting that with the transfer case, switches and wiring

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about programming? You have the front and rear axles, the t-case.. but what about the TCCM? That is the switch that has 2hi, awd, 4hi, etc... How will it communicate with the BCM in yours? I'm just thinking out loud here, but I'm wondering how to get past your Denali's AWD programming.

OP
OP
E

EfiniMotorsport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I've been able to find the programming is the same for the 4wd and awd. GM does it to save money. I will need to pull the tccm, switches and all the wiring that goes to the front axle and transfer case. I just realized I can check all data and see where else the wires go from there. I'm sure they go to a fuse block or two but not sure about ecm or bcm. That was one of the questions I've been trying to get a definitive answer to. I've seen a few guys go from 4wd to awd without too much issue. This is just the opposite

OP
OP
E

EfiniMotorsport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the one thread I've been able to find anywhere about doing the swap. The guy was only on the forum for one day to post it which seems weird. I've seen the exact post by someone with the same name in two other places too.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These were a couple others I had already visited.

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/awd-ft4wd-conversion-to-2wd-pt4wd-done.37342/

https://www.cadillacforums.com/foru...1999/113218-converting-awd-4-wheel-drive.html

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/topic/75296-awd-to-2wd-easy-beans/

I thought there were more but couldn't find em.. I swear it was gmfullsize or gm-trucks. I would think you might have some luck looking this up on the pickup side, and see what you could find on someone going from 4wd to Awd. Silveradosierra.com gmfullsize.com gm-trucks.com

OP
OP
E

EfiniMotorsport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting thise. I hadn't seen one of them. The only thing I didn't like about his swap is that he has to crawl under the truck to shift. I'm going with the the 243 tc so everything hopefully works as it should. My truck is lowered 4" so getting under it to shift isn't an option. Especially since I would usually need 4wd when it's already snowing ou

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10