Future 2020/21 Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
GTNator

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How's that?

I can’t remember which article it was, probably one of the ones in this thread somewhere...I read that a 4 cylinder turbo may be one of the engine options for Suburban. I hope it’s not true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can’t remember which article it was, probably one of the ones in this thread somewhere...I read that a 4 cylinder turbo may be one of the engine options for Suburban. I hope it’s not true.

https://www.trucks.com/2018/05/18/gm-turbocharged-engine-silverado-1500/

There it is. Lots of power but when not under boost it's still a four cylinder. Back in the day our Buick Grand Nationals made gobs of horsepower and tons of torque. And yet, GM saw the wisdom to not put that engine in trucks or increase their tow ratings as they were still 120 HP V6s when not under boost.

Well, we shall see.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://www.trucks.com/2018/05/18/gm-turbocharged-engine-silverado-1500/

There it is. Lots of power but when not under boost it's still a four cylinder. Back in the day our Buick Grand Nationals made gobs of horsepower and tons of torque. And yet, GM saw the wisdom to not put that engine in trucks or increase their tow ratings as they were still 120 HP V6s when not under boost.

Well, we shall see.
Yep. I think we all are going to have to suspend disbelief a little on these smaller turbocharged engines. A little.

The B48 4-cylinder motor BMW has begun to use in its lower-priced sedans is a marvel - it pulls hard and sounds good. No torque issues. They get the 3 series with that engine from 0-60 in 5.5 seconds, which is about the same as the top of the line V8 5 series did in 2005 (I had one). You really have to think hard about whether you need the 6 cylinder upgrade.

But those are sedans, unlikely to see sustained work duty.

Volvo has gone to 4-cylinder engines across its line now. Great cars by all reports. But I live in Colorado. I might be paranoid, but there's still no chance I'm pulling a trailer over Wolf Creek Pass in a 4300 pound vehicle powered by a 2 liter engine with two turbochargers. Too much heat.

I do think the Ford 6 cylinder ecoboost engines are on the right side of that line, though. With turbochargers in general, figure that every semi you pass has one and plans to run it for 200,000 miles. You do need a certain amount of displacement and heat management though.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. I think we all are going to have to suspend disbelief a little on these smaller turbocharged engines. A little.

The B48 4-cylinder motor BMW has begun to use in its lower-priced sedans is a marvel - it pulls hard and sounds good. No torque issues. They get the 3 series with that engine from 0-60 in 5.5 seconds, which is about the same as the top of the line V8 5 series did in 2005 (I had one). You really have to think hard about whether you need the 6 cylinder upgrade.

But those are sedans, unlikely to see sustained work duty.

Volvo has gone to 4-cylinder engines across its line now. Great cars by all reports. But I live in Colorado. I might be paranoid, but there's still no chance I'm pulling a trailer over Wolf Creek Pass in a 4300 pound vehicle powered by a 2 liter engine with two turbochargers. Too much heat.

I do think the Ford 6 cylinder ecoboost engines are on the right side of that line, though. With turbochargers in general, figure that every semi you pass has one and plans to run it for 200,000 miles. You do need a certain amount of displacement and heat management though.

I'm not against turbos by any means, spent many years racing them. A big rig inline 6 with a turbo is great. They are using technology to mitigate heat and run smaller displacements.

Whenever GM introduces a new model of whatever, they usually give folks a lot of options and pare them down a year or three later as the market tells them what it wants.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Cam bolts on the LCA look terrible from behind. Id like to hear @NORCAL SS thoughts on slamming these with Independent Rear.

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do they look like Fords? If you look at the grill of the Suburban in the sister story, it even has a Ford badge?!?

That rear suspension looks like Ford as well. And Dual Exhaust straight out the back?

I am thinking that isn't quite what we will see in production yet...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak

Latest posts