Future 2020/21 Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GTNator, Oct 12, 2017.

1. GTNator

GTNator Supporting Member

Name:
    GTNator
    Anyone have information on the next redesign of these GM trucks?

2. jac1304

jac1304 Full Access Member

Name:
    JEFFREY
    No, I wish..

3. Galante

Galante Supporting Member

Name:
    Pete
    Hopefully they get it right this time... oh wait, did i say that out loud?.... my bad

4. JayceeP

JayceeP Full Access Member

Name:
    JC
    Wouldn't it be more like 2022? With a lot of countries and cities over in Europe starting to ban gas engines as early as 2030 and Volvo committing to a fully electric/hybrid fleet within 10 years, I'd say the dominoes will start falling. If you want a honking V8, this just might be one of your last ideal buying opportunities with some re-sale value. After the next 10-20 years, there might not be much of a gas-powered market left. Who knows... maybe V8's will be a collectors item lol.

GTNator likes this.
  5. NYisles1

NYisles1 Full Access Member

Name:
    Jonathan
    It’s already far along in development, as are the pickups. Most info says 2020 for the suvs.

Whatever the regulatory environment, this next generation will likely use the same basic formula although I would think we’ll see the 10spd across the board and maybe a turbocharged six as at least a choice. That combo is the exclusive powertain in the new experience/navigator and ford plays with the tuning to give more power to the premium models. Might see something like that.

toi and GTNator like this.
  6. crunchcity

crunchcity TYF Newbie

Name:
    Mark
    2020 is a safe bet being the new pickups are coming out sometime in 2018 for the 2019 model year.

Just hope the auto stop/start will have a defeat switch on them...I heard the 2018 Traverse doesn't have an off switch for the auto stop/start but some other models do.

GTNator likes this.
  7. cardude2000

cardude2000 Full Access Member

Name:
    Cardude
    2020 is correct based on what I've read. I've also read that ford and chev/gmc will have hybrid powertrains for their trucks in 2020 as well. Thats fine with me. I've been happy with my 6.2L but if gas jumps to $4+ gallon then I'd be very happy to have a hybrid option.

8. fozzi58

fozzi58 Full Access Member

Name:
    fozzi58
    I just don't understand why they don't offer smaller turbo'd diesels in these big SUVs like they do in Europe. We were in Rome a few years back and an Escalade pulled up to a light and you could hear the whistle from the turbo when it accelerated and that typical diesel sound.

Most large delivery/work trucks like the Freightliner, Fiat Ducato (Think Dodge Sprinter), Mercedes, and the occasional Dodge Ram all have 1.8, 2.0, or 2.2 turbo diesels. Way better gas mileage than the 5.3 or 6.2, the same or better torque typically for towing/weight, and the turbo usually solves the acceleration problem. Especially in Italy, you have to see how much weight they put in these trucks (waiting for the shocks to pup through the mounts) and I have seen them climb those mountainous town streets effortlessly.

If it was at least an option or a typical install in your fleet vehicles like the Suburban LT which is extremely prominent in the livery market (especially on the east coast), they could reduce emissions probably by half and still meet the requirements of your typical buyers needs for towing, accelerating, etc. If I had been looking for a Burb to tow a boat or trailer I would have considered a diesel. I digress....

Justinj360, jmiboi and GTNator like this.
  9. GTNator

GTNator Supporting Member

Name:
    GTNator
    I think something like this is coming to GM soon, it has to eventually. Ford kind of pioneered this approach in the US market with their 6 cylinder twin turbo engine which is in Expeditions, Navigators, and an option in the F150.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Chris T

Chris T TYF Newbie

Name:
    Chris
    Sold my '16 Denali. Couldn't stand the booming any longer. Hopefully they fix that and the buffetting and vibrations. Other than those 3 highly annoying "features", it was a nice truck.

Phil25101, JayceeP and GTNator like this.