Future 2020/21 Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have information on the next redesign of these GM trucks?

JayceeP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be more like 2022? With a lot of countries and cities over in Europe starting to ban gas engines as early as 2030 and Volvo committing to a fully electric/hybrid fleet within 10 years, I'd say the dominoes will start falling. If you want a honking V8, this just might be one of your last ideal buying opportunities with some re-sale value. After the next 10-20 years, there might not be much of a gas-powered market left. Who knows... maybe V8's will be a collectors item lol.

NYisles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s already far along in development, as are the pickups. Most info says 2020 for the suvs.

Whatever the regulatory environment, this next generation will likely use the same basic formula although I would think we’ll see the 10spd across the board and maybe a turbocharged six as at least a choice. That combo is the exclusive powertain in the new experience/navigator and ford plays with the tuning to give more power to the premium models. Might see something like that.

crunchcity

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2020 is a safe bet being the new pickups are coming out sometime in 2018 for the 2019 model year.

Just hope the auto stop/start will have a defeat switch on them...I heard the 2018 Traverse doesn't have an off switch for the auto stop/start but some other models do.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2020 is correct based on what I've read. I've also read that ford and chev/gmc will have hybrid powertrains for their trucks in 2020 as well. Thats fine with me. I've been happy with my 6.2L but if gas jumps to $4+ gallon then I'd be very happy to have a hybrid option.

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just don't understand why they don't offer smaller turbo'd diesels in these big SUVs like they do in Europe. We were in Rome a few years back and an Escalade pulled up to a light and you could hear the whistle from the turbo when it accelerated and that typical diesel sound.

Most large delivery/work trucks like the Freightliner, Fiat Ducato (Think Dodge Sprinter), Mercedes, and the occasional Dodge Ram all have 1.8, 2.0, or 2.2 turbo diesels. Way better gas mileage than the 5.3 or 6.2, the same or better torque typically for towing/weight, and the turbo usually solves the acceleration problem. Especially in Italy, you have to see how much weight they put in these trucks (waiting for the shocks to pup through the mounts) and I have seen them climb those mountainous town streets effortlessly.

If it was at least an option or a typical install in your fleet vehicles like the Suburban LT which is extremely prominent in the livery market (especially on the east coast), they could reduce emissions probably by half and still meet the requirements of your typical buyers needs for towing, accelerating, etc. If I had been looking for a Burb to tow a boat or trailer I would have considered a diesel. I digress....

OP
OP
GTNator

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just don't understand why they don't offer smaller turbo'd diesels in these big SUVs like they do in Europe. We were in Rome a few years back and an Escalade pulled up to a light and you could hear the whistle from the turbo when it accelerated and that typical diesel sound.

Most large delivery/work trucks like the Freightliner, Fiat Ducato (Think Dodge Sprinter), Mercedes, and the occasional Dodge Ram all have 1.8, 2.0, or 2.2 turbo diesels. Way better gas mileage than the 5.3 or 6.2, the same or better torque typically for towing/weight, and the turbo usually solves the acceleration problem. Especially in Italy, you have to see how much weight they put in these trucks (waiting for the shocks to pup through the mounts) and I have seen them climb those mountainous town streets effortlessly.

If it was at least an option or a typical install in your fleet vehicles like the Suburban LT which is extremely prominent in the livery market (especially on the east coast), they could reduce emissions probably by half and still meet the requirements of your typical buyers needs for towing, accelerating, etc. If I had been looking for a Burb to tow a boat or trailer I would have considered a diesel. I digress....

I think something like this is coming to GM soon, it has to eventually. Ford kind of pioneered this approach in the US market with their 6 cylinder twin turbo engine which is in Expeditions, Navigators, and an option in the F150.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris T

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sold my '16 Denali. Couldn't stand the booming any longer. Hopefully they fix that and the buffetting and vibrations. Other than those 3 highly annoying "features", it was a nice truck.