Fun with Coilovers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justinlw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've developed a deep hatred for torsion bars on these trucks. This started with my first 4X4 in '96, a Z71 K1500. My Tahoe leveled, rides about like my son's unsprung gokart. On the other hand, I have a leveled '10 F150 with Coilover/Struts that rides like a dream. I love the Tahoe, everything about it aside from the ride. So this got me thinking of a conversion....

Second point, my front end is lifted between 2-3", and I have 1" blocks in the rear. I like this height, any higher and I won't fit in my garage, but I'm not happy with the CV and Steering angles. There are no complete aftermarket lift kit options to remain at this height without modification to their design. If I decrank a 4" kit, the spring rate is too soft to support my ranch hand replacement's weight in the front.

So here I am, stuck with designing a solution. The plan to date is to order a set of Coilover supports from Atomic. This gives me endless options for shock and spring rate/weight. To correct the upper ball joint angles, I've ordered a set of Cognito UCA's. Happy with the plan so far, but I still have a couple issues to address.

For the cv angles, I'll need to drop the front axle. Has anyone seen an axle bracket kit for around 2" of drop? If I can't locate, I will build one.

Steering angles are still a little far stretched, so I'll need to locate a dropped centre link, or some other solution if any suspension guru's have any ideas.

I guess what I'm looking for is a few (constructive) opinions about the system as I've listed, and any help that can be offered to locate the last two points mentioned. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Chevy305

Reaction score
Are your CV angles that bad with only a level kit?
Atomic's brackets are a great way to get coilovers. I have a set sitting in my garage, I just need to pony up the $$ for the coilovers now.

OP
OP
justinlw

justinlw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They're bad enough, I'd like to get them back to zero angle where they belong. I actually found through someone else that super lift makes a kit good for 2-3.5" lift with adjustable jounce stops. Includes dropped centre link, control arm, and front axle drop brackets. Looking into that now.

cbepro

Reaction score
Did you guys find a coil over spring and shock for a lift?

Don't know if i'm in the ball park but i could not find long enough springs with enough spring rate. I saw the lowered tahoe coilover guys use 1250lb springs. So i tried looking for taller springs for the coilover lift and the highest rate was under 1000lbs.

OP
OP
justinlw

justinlw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've canned the project at the moment, have too much going on to tear the truck down. When I was looking, qa1 had a shock at the length I needed, and I found 1500# springs to go with them. I'll dig around when I get home, I wrote part numbers somewhere.

Atomic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you guys find a coil over spring and shock for a lift?

Don't know if i'm in the ball park but i could not find long enough springs with enough spring rate. I saw the lowered tahoe coilover guys use 1250lb springs. So i tried looking for taller springs for the coilover lift and the highest rate was under 1000lbs.

When you use a longer spring the spring rate you need goes down. SUV guys use such stiff springs because the shocks do not have much travel.

If you measure from the lower shock bolt to the top of the shock pocket on the frame I can find you a spring/shock combo that will work ;)

OP
OP
justinlw

justinlw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's an option, but you're pretty much limited to 6" of lift or higher with the sas. I'd like to stay around 3" of lift. I think I'm going with the superlift 2.75" kit. It's full drop brackets, dropped centrelink, and adjustable from 2"-3.5". I'll tackle the Coilover kit if the ride with that kit isn't good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove