fuel issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CosFam

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i have an 01 tahoe ls 4x4. 5.3liter v8. so yesterday while driving i was sitting at a light, light turned green upon accelerating it felt like it wasnt getting fuel and the engine was choking. than is started working ok. next light same issue. only this time it just died out. luckily i was close to home and on a downgrade so i coasted it home. i swapped the the fuel pump relay under the hood. tried to locate a 2nd relay as i was told there were 2. cant find 2nd relay. also i have to power at my fuel pump. any ideas as to where the 2nd relay is and is my next step replacing the pump?

BigWheelinBubba

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Chances are you have either a clogged cat converter or a bad fuel pump. Check fuel pressure at the rail before going any further. It should be between 50-55psi.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try cleaning the throttle body first, a dirty throttle body on our truck will do pretty much what you are having a problem with and it's a cheap attempt at a fix even if it doesn't solve your problem!

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try cleaning the throttle body first, a dirty throttle body on our truck will do pretty much what you are having a problem with and it's a cheap attempt at a fix even if it doesn't solve your problem!

I think for sure try this ^ and check fuel pressure before going any further.

When idling at a light your butter fly valve inside throttle body is almost closed but not all the way. If it was all the way the truck would have no oxygen and not combustion. When carbon /soot/dirt whatever builds up inside throttle body the small sliver of space that allows idle air through becomes clogged. I know that happened to me before and I generally make a habit of clean that with a tooth brush and carb cleaner
Or equivalent when I'm cleaning my air filter or whatever.

Remember: most components can be tested one way or another before replacing stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

CosFam

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Alright guys thanks for the help! Turns out I had a bad fuel pump. Swapped out with the new one n now my baby's back in business. Also put a new filter n cleaned out the tank while I had it down.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright guys thanks for the help! Turns out I had a bad fuel pump. Swapped out with the new one n now my baby's back in business. Also put a new filter n cleaned out the tank while I had it down.

Sucks that it was the fuel pump but at least you got it up and running again! Nice move changing out the fuel filter while you were at it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bell45