Fuel filter change 5.3 2004 Flex fuel.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

Jimmy John

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Good to know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thread resurrection. My 04 Tahoe does not have the plastic fitting on the outlet, press, spring lock side. It appears to have the metal spring lock but I can't see due to the filter being a tight fit on the line. I have tried my fuel line release tool, the plastic ring tool type and they are too deep to work. Is there a special release ring tool for an 04 Chevy? The replacement fuel filter I bought at O'Reillys came with the plastic spring lock clip with the tabs to push, but it wasn't there factory.

xjsc16x

Reaction score
Thread resurrection. My 04 Tahoe does not have the plastic fitting on the outlet, press, spring lock side. It appears to have the metal spring lock but I can't see due to the filter being a tight fit on the line. I have tried my fuel line release tool, the plastic ring tool type and they are too deep to work. Is there a special release ring tool for an 04 Chevy? The replacement fuel filter I bought at O'Reillys came with the plastic spring lock clip with the tabs to push, but it wasn't there factory.

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-35000-Fuel-Filter-Disconnect/dp/B000K1IVV4

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are several DIY threads on this subject. If the original fuel filter is being replaced (such as @mattt has going on here) a hacksaw is used since there aren't any disconnect tools that will fit in the allowed space. There are a couple ways to go about it. The replacement fuel filters are redesigned with a longer output shank so that a disconnect tool can be used in the future servicing.

I more recently had the same problem with a 2008 Ford Escape where the fuel filter stub ends were so short that the canister body is too close to the pipe fittings such that the proper release tool could not be used. UNTIL ... I dropped the $25 or $30 something ridiculous on the tool NAPA sells. It would prob even have worked on the Yukon.

image.jpeg

The 2-piece slim disc is required, nothing else is going to work. There isn't anything you can think of which hasn't already been tried.

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-34750-Profile-Fuel-Disconnect/dp/B002BI2DU4

Last edited:

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What type of hacksaw is everyone using who's gone this route? My hacksaw has a frame to hold the blade and I don't see it getting in there. Is there a special hack saw with blade only? Thanks in advance.

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking when people say hacksaw, they're using the wrong name for the type of "hack saw" they used to get the factory filter out?

Hacksaw, never going to fit where the filter is. https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/4b....jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Framless hacksaw..blade and handle only
Any hardware store/hd/lowes/hazard fraught/amazon have them.. been around for years. I used to make my own with papertowel center cardboard, rag and black electrical tape, pain in the *** to hold on to but worked in a pinch.48D7BF16-DB8E-4C0D-81F1-531A143E40C5.jpeg

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool. Thank you for the info....never seen one of those before. I see a need a new tool. ;) Thanks again.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
duck tape on one end of a bare blade would work too, if it doesn't your not using enough duck tape, also when changing fuel filters I just pull the fuel pump fuse then give it a few cranks to relieve any pressure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01