Fuel delivery?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cartier16

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all I have a 2003 Yukon Denali 6.0 with 170k miles. Purchased about 6 months ago I’ve currently replaced cv axels, radiator, and trans cooler lines. Truck has been running perfectly fine and the night of New Years it died on me. While driving my engine died I pulled over and kept turning the engine but no start. I put about a gallon and half of gas in the tank it started right back up for about 10 seconds then died again. Wouldn’t start after had the vehicle towed sat over night. Turned it over about 20 minutes ago and it idled fine for about 60 seconds then began to shutter like it was going to die again. I’ve ran sea foam through the system before and have done all the maintenance myself replaced the fuel filter a few months back but have no check engine light. Any similar experiences? I plan on tested the pressure in the system but what else could cause this can it be evap related the sending unit in the fuel pump bounces around sometimes I originally thought my pump died when it first stalled out but obviously not. Any advice or help would be appreciated thanks

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Sounds like a fuel pump to me. Make double sure the inside of tank is clean and IMO, I always replace the fuel filter and relay when I do a pump. Get a tester on the line and watch as it dies.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Probably not evap related, but if it's flooding the purge valve on the engine could be staying open with the key off. Flooding is less likely than fuel starvation with the symptoms but we'd need some more info to be pointed in that direction.

Is the fuel gauge accurate? When it dies, have you filled it up and how much fuel does it take? (Caution, you'll want to have the tank low on fuel when/if you get to dropping the tank for the fuel pump change, otherwise the fuel will need to be siphoned. But you're a ways from that.)

First action should be to test the fuel pressure KOEO (key on, engine off) to see how high it gets and if it bleeds off quickly after the pump stops running. Next is to monitor the fuel pressure when the issue happens, as @OR VietVet suggested.

And, next time it won't start, bang on the underside of that fuel tank to shock the pump, maybe while someone cranks it over.

When it won't start, have you tried clear flood mode by flooring the accelerator to turn off the injectors?

The fuel pressure regulator is also suspect. Lots of possibilities to consider, especially without any test results.

OP
OP
Cartier16

Cartier16

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds like a fuel pump to me. Make double sure the inside of tank is clean and IMO, I always replace the fuel filter and relay when I do a pump. Get a tester on the line and watch as it dies.
To my knowledge a fuel pump isn’t intermittent. It’s either going to work or not and when it stops it’s going to cut the engine as soon as the gas stops flowing not stop then start working again 12 hours later but I could be wrong. Just don’t reallly have the time drop my tank and don’t have the money to pay someone else to tow it and do it thanks for the reply though

OP
OP
Cartier16

Cartier16

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Probably not evap related, but if it's flooding the purge valve on the engine could be staying open with the key off. Flooding is less likely than fuel starvation with the symptoms but we'd need some more info to be pointed in that direction.

Is the fuel gauge accurate? When it dies, have you filled it up and how much fuel does it take? (Caution, you'll want to have the tank low on fuel when/if you get to dropping the tank for the fuel pump change, otherwise the fuel will need to be siphoned. But you're a ways from that.)

First action should be to test the fuel pressure KOEO (key on, engine off) to see how high it gets and if it bleeds off quickly after the pump stops running. Next is to monitor the fuel pressure when the issue happens, as @OR VietVet suggested.

And, next time it won't start, bang on the underside of that fuel tank to shock the pump, maybe while someone cranks it over.

When it won't start, have you tried clear flood mode by flooring the accelerator to turn off the injectors?

The fuel pressure regulator is also suspect. Lots of possibilities to consider, especially without any test results.
I was questing the regulator or the pressure sensor. How can you test those though. I’m going to pick up the tools to test my line pressure here soon. Thanks for the reply

OP
OP
Cartier16

Cartier16

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was questing the regulator or the pressure sensor. How can you test those though. I’m going to pick up the tools to test my line pressure here soon. Thanks for the reply
And the gauge is accurate most of the times it’s usually just upon initial start and or after I fill up the tank it’ll register empty then go to full tank and then read accurate. I’ve ran it down to where it said about 1/8th tank and then proceeded to put about 22 gallons in it so I’d say it’s someone accurate

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, mine was intermittent. Got stuck in Laramie, WY a few years back pulling a camper and it wouldn't start. No fuel pressure. After considering a few things, I banged on the tank and it fired right up. I didn't turn it off until I got home later that day and changed the pump a week later. So an electrical connection can be intermittent, or the motor gets in a funky spot and might need a little attitude adjustment.

There is no fuel pressure sensor; everything that has to do with that is in the pump module (the fuel pump). (There is a fuel *tank* pressure sensor in the pump module but that's only for onboard evap tests.)

For the pressure regulator (FPR) the most important test is the fuel pressure at the rail. If that checks out it's probably okay. But with the engine off, pull the vacuum line from the FPR and watch the FPR connection there to see if any fuel is getting out into the vacuum line -- give it two or three minutes. Also check the vacuum line there for fuel contamination.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So many things, mechanical or electrical, can be good one minute and bad the next and then surprise us and work again. If you feel the fuel pump can't be intermittent, all good with me. That is why the testing process is needed. @Fless suggested the tap the fuel tank method because it can happen. Same thing with a starter. But, it is your truck and you can approach the diagnostics any way you want to. Good luck.

OP
OP
Cartier16

Cartier16

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was tapping the tank yesterday when I was stranded and there wasn’t any luck which is why I was surprised it started today

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157