Frozen bolt

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by Ottobotiv, Jul 12, 2018 at 3:35 AM.

1. Ottobotiv

Ottobotiv TYF Newbie

Name:
    Otto
    Hello everyone
    I'm changing my cv axle and one of the bolts wont come out. I've tried wd40, blunt force, tightening it to break it loose. My socket has all most stripped trying to free it. I'm up for any ideas. Thank you.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2. Galante

Galante Elite Member Supporting Member

Name:
    Pete
    You a better penetrating lube such as pbblaster, kroil, acetone & trans fluid mixture or something better than wd40. Also some heat, torchs are cheap. Are you using a six point or 12 point socket? i would soak it a penetrating fluid, not wd40, put a six point socket on it, give it a few hits with a hammer and then try to break it free. If that doesn’t work heat up the bolt, you wont be able to do just bolt so apply heat to the entire area and again, a few wraps with a hammer and it should back out. Remember to keep threads lubricated as you twist it out and go slow, screw it out a little spray it, screw it in, out a little more spray it... etc....or it will snap halfway. Also an impact gun should take that right out.

Ottobotiv, swathdiver and HiHoeSilver like this.
  3. Doubeleive

Doubeleive Elite Member Supporting Member

Name:
    Wes
    you might want to put the opposing bolt back in as well it could be pinched a little can't really tell, but yes HEAT

Ottobotiv and swathdiver like this.
  4. nadthomas

nadthomas Member

Name:
    Dan
    Galante nailed it, but I'll second heat. I have found my MAPP gas torch to be one of the most useful tools in my garage. You can pick one up at your local home improvement store for less then $50.

5. David Smith

David Smith Full Access Member

Name:
    David
    I would suggest kroil and heat (not at the same time obviously) and then maybe even try and tap on a slightly smaller socket.

6. HiHoeSilver

HiHoeSilver Away! Supporting Member

Name:
    Nate
    X222

Ottobotiv and Galante like this.
  7. drakon543

drakon543 Full Access Member

Name:
    james
    another simple trick ive used when its an accessible part and something that can be wailed on like that. as your trying to back that bolt out with one arm take a hammer and hit the metal on the side next to it. wailed i geuss is a bit strong i geuss but start out with some gentle tapping and hit it a bit harder as you go until it breaks loose.

Ottobotiv likes this.
  8. inmypassatlife

inmypassatlife Full Access Member

Name:
    Nan Doh!
    DIY induction heater time!

Ottobotiv likes this.