Front Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GBF1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have 176,000 miles on my Denali and have never replaced anything up front. Haven't noticed anything bad, but concerned I'm way overdue. Have Arnott`s on the rear. Any recommendations and approximate cost? Thanks in advance!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 176,000 miles on my Denali and have never replaced anything up front. Haven't noticed anything bad, but concerned I'm way overdue. Have Arnott`s on the rear. Any recommendations and approximate cost? Thanks in advance!
How long do you intend to keep her? If you plan to double that mileage, use GM OE parts. If half that or so, Mevotech, ACDelco Professional and Moog are well thought of.

I spent about $1200 with GM OE parts but have struts up front unlike yours which I reckon would be somewhat less. Then again, there's been rampant inflation since the spring.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
At 145,000 miles, I recently changed my upper and lower control arms (comes with the ball joints attached), and the entire strut assemblies including the shocks, springs, and top mounts. Like you, I did not observe any issues with the original parts, but after replacing them, I do notice an improvement in the front end. I used all GM OE parts, except for the springs (which are no longer manufactured), where I used Moog.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I recently did my entire front and rear suspension and used nothing except Genuine GM parts except for the KYB shocks and Hellwig front and rear sway bar kits. Best decision I made were those bars. Like has been suggested by @swathdiver, if you are keeping the rig, spend the extra money on GM parts.

Colby_e32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In all honesty, I've seen trucks with low miles be trashed,worn out, every part. Then I've seen high mileage, well serviced trucks with little to no play in the suspension/steering. Id get your truck inspected by a shop you trust. Im certain that you will see some wear in the upper control arm bushings, balljoints, tie rods, pitman arm, idler arm, lower control arm bushings, balljoints, hubs, etc.

To replace all or most of your worn out parts, set aside a good 12-1500 bucks for the parts, plus labor if you cant install them yourself. Ive rebuilt the whole front end of my truck, and spent over 1000 dollars and did the labor myself.

I have a mix of MOOG, and OEM GM parts. I like OEM steering parts more, the tolerances seem to be tighter, but I've had great luck with the MOOG brand balljoints, especially the lower balljoint, it has an intergrated boot design, that prevents tearing/cracking like all the other brands do.

Hope this helps. Thanks

04Z71w

Reaction score
My 04 has 277k miles on it and it definitely needs/getting the whole front end replaced. I bought the complete moog set for little over 500 but and same for a oem steering box. I'm not partial to OEM as long as it's not a known cheap knockoff. None of its installed yet. Im just waiting on New hub assemblies and brake kit to come in before I dive into that mess. I also went with bilsteins.

OP
OP
GBF1

GBF1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In all honesty, I've seen trucks with low miles be trashed,worn out, every part. Then I've seen high mileage, well serviced trucks with little to no play in the suspension/steering. Id get your truck inspected by a shop you trust. Im certain that you will see some wear in the upper control arm bushings, balljoints, tie rods, pitman arm, idler arm, lower control arm bushings, balljoints, hubs, etc.

To replace all or most of your worn out parts, set aside a good 12-1500 bucks for the parts, plus labor if you cant install them yourself. Ive rebuilt the whole front end of my truck, and spent over 1000 dollars and did the labor myself.

I have a mix of MOOG, and OEM GM parts. I like OEM steering parts more, the tolerances seem to be tighter, but I've had great luck with the MOOG brand balljoints, especially the lower balljoint, it has an intergrated boot design, that prevents tearing/cracking like all the other brands do.

Hope this helps. Thanks
I have it being looked at today and will let you know what I find out.

smcnair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spent $466 on Amazon to get the AC Delco pro series UCA's and LCA's. Had to also replace axles for $125 each. Bilstein 5100's I think were around $150. Used moog tie rod ends and sway bar links. Plan on about $1000 in parts if you have to replace everything. Now, if you have to pay someone to do the work? That might cost you. I was told on the book it's listed as an 8 hour job. Took me and a mechanic friend about 4 hours but we have a lift and a full shop tool setup.

OP
OP
GBF1

GBF1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have it being looked at today and will let you know what I find out.
Update: Shop didn’t find anything that needed attention up front. Did need new rear brake pads and turned the rotors. Did oil change and had them put in Bar’s Oil Seal as my pressure a little low.

04Z71w

Reaction score
Update: Shop didn’t find anything that needed attention up front. Did need new rear brake pads and turned the rotors. Did oil change and had them put in Bar’s Oil Seal as my pressure a little low.
That's good. I've replaced front end component's on my work truck even though it didn't need it however I did feel and have a better ride than before. I tend to replace things before I have issue. In my current case it's a cheap run around tahoe that I get to slowly work on for giggles. If you get around to it...best damn thing I did for the suspension on my truck was bilstein b6's with new spring assemblies and tie rods. You just dodged well 1k$ worth if work though lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadi awais