Front Struts non-Magneride type

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tmurray4192

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2017 Yukon XL.jpg

Vehicle:
* 2017 Yukon XL SLT 4x4 5.3l Flex
* Front Struts: (non-Magneride type) coil over shock
* Rear shocks: ACDelco air shock with auto leveling
* Tires AT type

My Front struts are leaking and causing some chop to my tire tread. Time to replace. Handling with original struts seemed fine. I do tow a 6000 lbs. boat so any replacement that would handle that is a must. I found KYB at AutoZone website in which they had two different models ASR4546 and ASR4546K. AutoZone and KYB Websites didn't compare them. Any clue what the difference is? The ASR4546K were more expensive. Not looking to raise SUV height above manufacture original height. However, if a better ride comes with a bit higher stance, so be it. Any suggestions or comments welcomed.

KYB Truck-Plus Front Leveling Assembly ASR4546K

Last edited:

jets

Reaction score
I have Belltech sp all around and they’re awesome.

Thrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The K comes with a spacer to install at the lower A-arm. That's why they are "leveling", otherwise they are the same as the non K part number.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd stick with OEM personally. Been down the aftermarket strut road before and they just don't seem to hold up like OEM ones do.
I've also had good luck with car-part.com for low mile salvage items. I put 2019 tahoe struts in my 2008 Yukon for $350 delivered - rust free crashed truck with 19k. Just ideas

jets

Reaction score
I'd stick with OEM personally. Been down the aftermarket strut road before and they just don't seem to hold up like OEM ones do.
I've also had good luck with car-part.com for low mile salvage items. I put 2019 tahoe struts in my 2008 Yukon for $350 delivered - rust free crashed truck with 19k. Just ideas

Hey if you can find them cheap awesome. I had to replace all four corners and was quoted close to $8K CAD at two places. I decided to drop it a bit and did BT all around and magdelete for less than half the cost. I’m happy.

OP
OP
tmurray4192

tmurray4192

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First thank you for the response. I am a typically an OEM person as well. However, this 2017 Yukon OEM parts seem to be failing a lot sooner than my other older (2005, 2009, 2014)GMC/Chevy full size SUV's did. after 80,000 miles with seasonal towing I have had to fully rebuild tranny (known running too hot issue) and replace ac condenser (known OEM leak), rear air shocks (known to leak), front struts (known to leak), and I believe the radiator soon. Point being I am gun shy in using OEM anymore. "Rant"... It seems as if they are engineered to fail sooner so you spend more money more often which means you bring it to the dealer. Nope! I will fix it myself, you won't get my money in your service center. "End Rant"... I will try the KYB and see what happens. I know what OEM does, at least for this vehicle.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First thank you for the response. I am a typically an OEM person as well. However, this 2017 Yukon OEM parts seem to be failing a lot sooner than my other older (2005, 2009, 2014)GMC/Chevy full size SUV's did. after 80,000 miles with seasonal towing I have had to fully rebuild tranny (known running too hot issue) and replace ac condenser (known OEM leak), rear air shocks (known to leak), front struts (known to leak), and I believe the radiator soon. Point being I am gun shy in using OEM anymore. "Rant"... It seems as if they are engineered to fail sooner so you spend more money more often which means you bring it to the dealer. Nope! I will fix it myself, you won't get my money in your service center. "End Rant"... I will try the KYB and see what happens. I know what OEM does, at least for this vehicle.
Its always a moving target. Many new OEM parts have different numbers because they are improved versions of the old design. I have the magnaride, and the replacement AC Delco struts now have a Lifetime Warranty - Arnotts are down to 2 and cost as much. GM really shines after a refresh, but really sucks after a full redesign...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar