Rear suspension "done", on to the front...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mftrnr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I finally got all my parts and finished getting the rear end much closer to stock.

I replaced rear springs with the Moogs that cross reference with OEM spring, the Dorman compressor and (Im ashamed to admit) off brand air shocks. But so far so good, I know some people have negative things to say about the compressor and off brand components but we'll just see. The ride is much improved over the lowering springs and traditional shock, which also appeared to be an off brand. It just bugged me so much the way it sat with the rear slightly lower then the front.

Now the rear end is sitting happily way up in the air.

I'm a little torn with what to do with the fronts, Im pretty sure Im going with the Arnott SK-2954 but it's frustrating I have to pay a premium to get them from Autozone since shipping to Hawaii is so much money.

For struts its either Arnott, Monroe or the ACDelco "Professional" non-z55 strut. Any inputs or comments are much appreciated.

OP
OP
M

mftrnr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Before:
PXL_20210523_023816888.jpg

After:
PXL_20210528_004222243.jpg

Is it sitting too high? Maybe these were the wrong springs.

akbrener

Full Access Member
Reaction score
springs are probably good. unless you used the 80169, those will be about 3/4" taller than factory. things will settle as the springs break in and any new rubber parts squish a bit. When you do the fronts with OEM spec things it will even out.

OP
OP
M

mftrnr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I finally finished getting all my suspension parts installed, and I still feel like it rides kind of rough. I wonder if something else is in need of attention or my expectations were out of whack.

I went with Arnott SK-2954 for the front, and what moog cross referenced as stock springs in the rear, with off brand shocks.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to where to look to improve ride quality? Other worn out components, or common culprits for crummy ride. It does have some off brand tires on it, maybe it is foolish to troubleshoot elsewhere with questionable tires. Theyre not old, just a cheap brand (Achilles Desert Hawk UHP - it's what came on the vehicle when I bought it).

akbrener

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will loosen up, you went from worn out to brand new.. Probably felt pretty stiff coming off the dealership lot with 0 miles as well.

OP
OP
M

mftrnr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It will loosen up, you went from worn out to brand new.. Probably felt pretty stiff coming off the dealership lot with 0 miles as well.

Hah very true, unfortunately Ive never had the pleasure. These bumpy Hawaii roads should loosen it up pretty quick.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hah very true, unfortunately Ive never had the pleasure. These bumpy Hawaii roads should loosen it up pretty quick.
It's a Denali. In my opinion, if you want ride quality, the factory suspension is the pinnacle. The stock shocks work with the computer to make minute adjustments to the fluid's viscosity in each shock as road conditions change. I completely rebuilt the front and rear suspension on my 2007, minus the springs, a couple of years ago, using new OEM shocks from Rock Auto (best prices on the OEM shocks around), and it rides like a dream. I've driven it on many Colorado and Virginia dirt roads and it handles the bumps and washboards like the Cadillac that it is under the hood. It was no firmer than before the suspension work when I was finished, but any slop/play from the old worn bushings was gone.

OP
OP
M

mftrnr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's a Denali. In my opinion, if you want ride quality, the factory suspension is the pinnacle. The stock shocks work with the computer to make minute adjustments to the fluid's viscosity in each shock as road conditions change. I completely rebuilt the front and rear suspension on my 2007, minus the springs, a couple of years ago, using new OEM shocks from Rock Auto (best prices on the OEM shocks around), and it rides like a dream. I've driven it on many Colorado and Virginia dirt roads and it handles the bumps and washboards like the Cadillac that it is under the hood. It was no firmer than before the suspension work when I was finished, but any slop/play from the old worn bushings was gone.

Yeah I was torn about which way to go with parts, one of the challenges I face is lack of reasonable shipping to Hawaii. I'm pretty much limited to what is available on Amazon and the local parts stores.

I am thinking I should have gone the route you suggested. That was kind of the intention but admittedly I cut corners.

I dont know if I will end up doing that on this one, but I've really enjoyed the platform. I think I may just take lessons learned with me and by an AWD or 4x4 when I get back to the mainland.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094