Front Strut Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mnjeepmale

Reaction score
Found out the front right strut is leaking on my 2015 Tahoe LTZ. Shop quoted me at $2500 to replace both front struts with factory parts. They mentioned I can go with aftermarket parts for cheaper.
I found the exact replacement part cheaper on Amazon part # 84176631 Shock Absorber for $373/each. Think the shop had them at $800/each

Question is it worth going with these or do they start leaking again? I do have 132k miles. I like the comfortable ride in my Tahoe. Are there other options to look at that may be little cheaper but as good?

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assume by "shop" you mean the dealership because that price is in the dealership price range and even a tad high for a dealership. My local GMC dealership quoted me $1965 for (2) front shocks installed on my 2015 GMC Yukon Denali XL, Z95 magnetic ride control, same front shock number as you posted GM 84176631. I'm at 96K for what it's worth.

To be honest if you can get 80-100K miles out of the OEM GM magnetic ride control shocks/struts I'd say that's a pretty good life span. Some guys on the forums here are having to replace them at 40-60K which is not good. I'd say at 132K you've gotten beyond the typical life expectancy for the original magnetic ride control shocks.

If you like the ride I'd just replace with OEM. I would definitely recommend purchasing them on your own though, from Amazon or check RockAuto, or other GM part sites. Just make sure you're buying ACDelco #84176631 GM OEM's and not some aftermarket.

Also, don't be afraid to go to you local Tire Discounters, NTB, (insert national tire store here) and just tell them your vehicle make and model and ask them what the price would be to install front shocks if you supplied your own parts. You should be able to purchase those shocks yourself and get them installed for <$1K easy.

OP
OP
M

mnjeepmale

Reaction score
I assume by "shop" you mean the dealership because that price is in the dealership price range and even a tad high for a dealership. My local GMC dealership quoted me $1965 for (2) front shocks installed on my 2015 GMC Yukon Denali XL, Z95 magnetic ride control, same front shock number as you posted GM 84176631. I'm at 96K for what it's worth.

To be honest if you can get 80-100K miles out of the OEM GM magnetic ride control shocks/struts I'd say that's a pretty good life span. Some guys on the forums here are having to replace them at 40-60K which is not good. I'd say at 132K you've gotten beyond the typical life expectancy for the original magnetic ride control shocks.

If you like the ride I'd just replace with OEM. I would definitely recommend purchasing them on your own though, from Amazon or check RockAuto, or other GM part sites. Just make sure you're buying ACDelco #84176631 GM OEM's and not some aftermarket.

Also, don't be afraid to go to you local Tire Discounters, NTB, (insert national tire store here) and just tell them your vehicle make and model and ask them what the price would be to install front shocks if you supplied your own parts. You should be able to purchase those shocks yourself and get them installed for <$1K easy.

No. Actually it wasn't the dealership. Was the local shop in my Town. I took it in yesterday to overlook the suspension and steering before going out of Town this weekend. They told me that the front right strut is leaking and needs to be replaced immediately. They also told me I have wear in the ball joints and should replace those on both sides.

They said they need to go directly to GM or dealer to get these parts and they are expensive. So with parts and labor they quoted me at $2500 for the front struts.

They did give me another option. Said another mechanic at the shop replaced his front struts on his LTZ but went with an aftermarket package he found on Amazon for couple hundred bucks.

Not sure if the front struts have ever been replaced before own this vehicle. I just purchased it in Feb. But I doubt it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt