Front Strut bottoming out after MaxTrac 2" drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LYNMUP

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone, posting a dilemma I am having in hopes someone could provide a bit of help. I recently installed the MaxTrac front and rear spring kit on my 2016 Yukon. The rear had the stock springs so it lowered it exactly 3 inches, just the front I am having issues figuring out. At first it seemed way to low in the front so I added a 1.5" spacer under the strut and it has it perfect for my taste. The issue is when I hit a hard bump, it seems to be bottoming out therefore I investigated and the strut is almost fully compressed to the metal body of the upper plate. I have AutoZone Duralast struts which seemed to be a bit taller than my stock struts (almost like they were designed to level the truck). Is there a certain strut I should use that would make this perfect and not have the front strut with such little up travel remaining? When I jack the Yukon in the air, it has a tremendous amount of down travel. Also, Firestone said the camber is max out which should not happen for only a 2 inch drop IMHO.

Hoping that the factory strut would be the right size but don't want to just throw parts at it until I know for certain. Perhaps I could install the AutoZone springs on them again and go with a spindle drop but still, not sure the total outcome. Thanks in advance!

Attaching a pic of the truck as it sits along with a pic of the strut to show how far the body is up in the spring.

Attachments

• Yukon 2-3 drop.jpg
    Yukon 2-3 drop.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Autozone strut with MaxTrac 2 inch drop.jpg
    Autozone strut with MaxTrac 2 inch drop.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
L

LYNMUP

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
***Update***

I contacted MaxTrac and they recommended their lowering struts which have a 1" lower strut body which will work with their lowering spring. Going to install and update in the event anyone else runs into this issue as well.

Note to anyone reading, do not put lowering springs on auto zone replacement struts, they will be to long and you will bottom out as I am doing.

OP
OP
L

LYNMUP

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I purchased the MaxTrac struts and installed the MaxTrac 2" drop springs on the stock setting and it was too low for my taste. I wound up installing the AutoZone springs on the MaxTrac struts at the lowest 3" drop setting. Now, the rear is 1/2" higher than the front which looks perfect. If I ever decide I want to raise it up again, all I have to do is reposition the spring on the strut to go up an additional 3" if I ever wanted to.

Up next is my twin turbo kit from Speed Engineering that has been in my garage for 3 weeks now. Setting it up with 16 lbs. of boost on an electronic boost controller. She is gonna hurt some feelings...lol

Also got some new shoes on her! BTW, this wheel and tire combo shed 19 lbs. per wheel. Also got a matching 17"x7" black spare tire to match the height of my current tires and it is 14 lbs. lighter. Big difference in accelaration.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 10

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased the MaxTrac struts and installed the MaxTrac 2" drop springs on the stock setting and it was too low for my taste. I wound up installing the AutoZone springs on the MaxTrac struts at the lowest 3" drop setting. Now, the rear is 1/2" higher than the front which looks perfect. If I ever decide I want to raise it up again, all I have to do is reposition the spring on the strut to go up an additional 3" if I ever wanted to.

Up next is my twin turbo kit from Speed Engineering that has been in my garage for 3 weeks now. Setting it up with 16 lbs. of boost on an electronic boost controller. She is gonna hurt some feelings...lol

Also got some new shoes on her! BTW, this wheel and tire combo shed 19 lbs. per wheel. Also got a matching 17"x7" black spare tire to match the height of my current tires and it is 14 lbs. lighter. Big difference in accelaration.

Learned a lot from these three posts- Speed Engineering has a turbo kit and Weld makes 20" 6-spoke racing wheels. 19 lbs. per wheel is huge! What tire size?