Front hub assembly replacment difficulty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In swapping brakes I found slight in and out play in one of our 2008 Tahoe 4wd front hub assemblies. The opposite side had none so it seems that something is up.

The same hub was changed by a repair shop 16,000 miles ago and they charged a whopping $289 for the "superior" part. So much for old famlily friend. Unfortunately it was 3 years ago so I doubt that they will do anything about it now.

Looking on RockAuto (now) that part ranges from $140 to $180 depending on manufacturer, so I know I got a bad deal by the mechanic.

Is it a difficult job replacing the hub assembly? Any foul language skills required?

And if it's do-able by the average back yard mechanic, what brands are best? I think I heard Moog when I was handed the bill for the first one so that might not be worth a second chance.

Last edited:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In swapping brakes I found slight in and out play in one of our 2008 Tahoe 4wd front hub assemblies. The opposite side had none so it seems that something is up.

The same hub was changed by a repair shop 16,000 miles ago and they charges a whopping $289 for the "superior" part. Unfortunately it was 3 years ago so I doubt that they will do anything about it now.

Looking on RockAuto (now) that part ranges from $140 to $180 depending on manufacturer, so I know I got a bad deal by the mechanic.

Is it a difficult job replacing the hub assembly? Any foul language skills required?

And if it's do-able by the average back yard mechanic, what brands are best? I think I heard Moog when I was handed the bill for the first one so that might not be worth a second chance.
Rock Auto sells the OEM part for $148. No point in mucking around at that price. Easy job.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can do brakes you can do a front hub IMO
Agreed.. I think its only 10? more nuts/bolts.
1 torx on the rotor (if equipped)
2 18mm? on the caliper bracket
1 35mm? on the axle nut
4 15mm? on the back of the hub
and I think one 10mm for the ABS wire. Cant remember for certain.

Its an easy job on the front.
Dont forget to go over all face areas with sandpaper to get rid of rust/grit/grime. Spray all the face areas down with a oil to prevent them from rusting in the future.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.
I wasn't sure if a special puller was needed but it looks like the only place I fall short is not having a big socket for the axle nut. But it's a reason to buy one......

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.
I wasn't sure if a special puller was needed but it looks like the only place I fall short is not having a big socket for the axle nut. But it's a reason to buy one......

They usually aren't very tight since there is a codder key. I have done it before with an adjustable wrench when I was on the side of the road with minimal tools. Check amazon for a socket tho I always buy my big odd sizes one at a time and they usually have them cheap.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The worst part of doing these IMHO is if the machined outer collar of the hub is rusted/seized to the knuckle, it can be a real PITA to get off. I had to knock some studs out and use pusher bolts to try and pry mine off and it actually bent the hub flange. After a few hours of spraying penetrating lubricant, prying at it, heating up the knuckle, beating the living **** out of it, I finally got it off. I used never seize installing the new one.

That being said, the urban myth that these bearings won't come apart if you run without an axle shaft earned some merit.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The worst part of doing these IMHO is if the machined outer collar of the hub is rusted/seized to the knuckle, it can be a real PITA to get off. I had to knock some studs out and use pusher bolts to try and pry mine off and it actually bent the hub flange. After a few hours of spraying penetrating lubricant, prying at it, heating up the knuckle, beating the living **** out of it, I finally got it off. I used never seize installing the new one.

That being said, the urban myth that these bearings won't come apart if you run without an axle shaft earned some merit.
Thanks. Since it was changed 3 years ago I hope it might not be corroded too badly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
holzl88