front hub assembly replacement (when)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stonehenge

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did several searches couldn't find anything for these more seasoned vehicles. In addition wasn't sure what section to place this in?

Anyways, 2 door Tahoe, 4x4, original 85000 miles, I assume they can't be serviced, merely replace the entire unit, correct?

When, only if they become problematic, make noise, bind, blow up, etc?

Looking for guidance, wondering if I should be replacing them not because of mileage but because they are 23 years old and can't be serviced, see my concern?

Yes, unfortunately I'm one of those owners, looking for real world experience on this question.

Thank you

And if any recommendations on what brand to gravitate towards.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Use a floor jack and get as close to the lower ball joint at the lower control arm and jack it up about 2-3 inches off the ground and then roll the tire to see if there is any roughness that you can feel or hear. Then grab the tire at 12 and 6 and shake in and out and then at 3 and 9 and do the same thing. Do both sides. You are looking for ANY play. Also, take a 30-40 mph road test and move the steering wheel from 12 to 3 and then to 9 and as you load the wheel bearings by doing that, see if you hear any rumbling/grating noises. Those are signs of a bad bearing. At that age, if they are still ok, wait till 100k miles and then replace with Genuine GM or Timken. Again, IMO.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Firstly, that is a nice looking 2 door!

You are correct, it’s a non serviceable unit bearing. At that age, my concern would be whats the condition of the seals. Most accounts I read of bearings are at significantly higher mileage. But when the seals go, and dirt/moisture gets in, game over.

The big variable IMO is under what operating conditions? Mild climate and clean highway driving those elastic parts may still be soft. Hot climate or lots of hot braking and exposure to dirt and mud; they’d probably be toast already.

Timken is the brand most often mentioned positively.

@PNW VietVet may have some insight.

Edit: LOL ^^^ he’s a faster typist than I am.

OP
OP
stonehenge

stonehenge

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It gets an oil change every 3 months (free synthetic oil hook up) regardless of mileage, and the tires get rotated often. I do the tire shimmy shake test every time its on the lift, thus far seems smooth.

It is a spoiled brat and spent its life in sunny socal.

Might just change them soon for piece of mind purposes.

Thank you kindly for all the impute.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It gets an oil change every 3 months (free synthetic oil hook up) regardless of mileage, and the tires get rotated often. I do the tire shimmy shake test every time its on the lift, thus far seems smooth.

It is a spoiled brat and spent its life in sunny socal.

Might just change them soon for piece of mind purposes.

Thank you kindly for all the impute.
I think of it like this. When one or both go bad, it will not happen in your driveway. They will wear out eventually and it costs less to replace when you want to than to wait for a breakdown and replace them then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Butterfly7