Front Diff or Transfer Case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wylie_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
03 4x4 Z71 5.3 flex.

Anyone have a front diff assembly or transfer case from a donor that might be collecting dust? Not sure yet which im gonna need but one of them let go today. Figured id start with the community before searching salvage yards.

OP
OP
Wylie_Tahoe

Wylie_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somtin blew. It made a chit load of noise and shudder, as a came to a stop. Would still move forward, but not reverse. Made a very load whirring sound when moving. Will be Wednesday at the earliest before I can get it moved into my shop and on jack stands.

Just getting the feelers out there to see what might be laying around.

OP
OP
Wylie_Tahoe

Wylie_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cant figure out the front diff's RPO. Any guesses on what let it would start with? Of what front diff RPO's an 03 Z71 4x4 would have possibly come with?

I do know this rig has a donor rear diff, so I do need to confirm its ratio matches the RPO.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, there isn't a good, external means of determining axle ratio. Best bet is to put it on stands, rotate the wheels, and see how much the wheels turn in comparison with the drive shaft.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cant figure out the front diff's RPO. Any guesses on what let it would start with? Of what front diff RPO's an 03 Z71 4x4 would have possibly come with?

I do know this rig has a donor rear diff, so I do need to confirm its ratio matches the RPO.
Would be the same as the (original)rear if it wasnt changedto match the donor. Gu6 is 3.42, gt4 is 3.73. Post the G codes and we can go from there. Even better would be a pic of the rpo sticker.
As for the noise going forward and no reverse, that sounds like a bad sunshell in the transmission