Frame swap - Cost/Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jiggasaki

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Want to buy a 95-99 2 door Tahoe or Yukon. I'm finding deals out there, but a lot have significant frame rust. There is also a decent market for second hand frames out there from salvage yards that are in pretty good shape. But I'm not looking to take on that as a DIY.

Assuming I bought a non-rusted frame, anyone have a ballpark on how much it would cost to swap it out? And are there are downsides to doing this (e.g., breaking some factory seal, etc).

Thanks!

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mostly just a time consuming job. alot of things to unhook and unbolt. when your done you will have probably paid double too triple what you would have paid just outright buying one in decent shape.
unplug a ton of stuff
fight the body mount bolts out
remove a fairly cumbersome body
remove the whole engine and drivetrain
then do it all in reverse
only added costs will be replacing any unknowns. also whatever the shop thats doing it is going to want to replace because some things are stupid to not replace while its that far apart. regardless most of the cost will be labor and there will be alot of it.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I’d look down south for something without rust. If I see a rusty car, it sticks out.

A frame swap on anything that isn’t a rare classic or has a sentimental value sounds like a can of worms.

Around here (Mississippi) I’ve seen Two grand for a pasture queen that “ran when parked and just needs a sensor” but has a solid body and probably no forward gears. Three grand for a running solid body two door 4x4 with iffy mechanicals. Five or more for a decent daily driver.

Easier probably to find a good body and swap the engine/drivetrain. That’s my two cents, good luck in the search!