Fosscore's 2006 Tahoe Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gift card and Chemical Guys Labor Day sale equals shinier trucks. This all came as one bundle and then I added the sample set of the V Line of CG polishes. Thx @adventurenali92 Just need a window to get out and there and sweat it out.

View attachment 230484
Looks good! The machine will help you sweat maybe a little less! Lol

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks good! The machine will help you sweat maybe a little less! Lol
I am a complete novice when it comes to detailing.. so stupid question: I bought these microfiber cloths: RGM Multipurpose Microfiber... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MK13CKW?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
I spent some time washing up the Yukon, and then used these for drying, and windows, only to discover swirls everywhere in the daylight.. so I washed in hot water, and dried, without dryer sheets, but they still seem to have something in the material. Do I have to spend the $$ on something from Chemical Guys, Adams, etc.. to get some without residue? What am I doing wrong..?

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am a complete novice when it comes to detailing.. so stupid question: I bought these microfiber cloths: RGM Multipurpose Microfiber... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MK13CKW?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
I spent some time washing up the Yukon, and then used these for drying, and windows, only to discover swirls everywhere in the daylight.. so I washed in hot water, and dried, without dryer sheets, but they still seem to have something in the material. Do I have to spend the $$ on something from Chemical Guys, Adams, etc.. to get some without residue? What am I doing wrong..?

@Sam Harris

Not sure what is going on. Definitely only wash in hot water and maybe some detergent to clean them. You can pre-soak them in some cleaner or vinegar to get them to wash out cleaner if there is any wax or product on the MF. No fabric softener or dryer sheets. They will not absorb anything if you use those products.

Maybe they are just crappy MFs?I personally like the Kirkland Signature from Costco. And I only got the CG stuff as it was a package mainly for the Porter Cable polisher and pads. There is a difference in quality of MFs out there, that can make a world of difference and maybe they are scratchy a bit.

The KS MFs I mentioned above are large, fluffy, good nap, absorb and polish out very nicely. I have had good results personally on both trucks. I have 2 boxes. New and Used/Old MFs. Any time I am polishing or applying spray wax or sealant to the main, large exterior sections of paint, it is time for new MFs. The others can be relegated to the door jambs, interior, engine bay, etc...then they make their way down the list until they get oil or grease and then trashed once they are beyond repair.

Perhaps it is not the actual MF, maybe your paint needs some more love? Time to get that clay bar and polisher in action again? :cool:

I am sure @adventurenali92 will have some input from his detail experience as well. His mileage may differ. Be interested to hear his take as well.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Sam Harris

Not sure what is going on. Definitely only wash in hot water and maybe some detergent to clean them. You can pre-soak them in some cleaner or vinegar to get them to wash out cleaner if there is any wax or product on the MF. No fabric softener or dryer sheets. They will not absorb anything if you use those products.

Maybe they are just crappy MFs?I personally like the Kirkland Signature from Costco. And I only got the CG stuff as it was a package mainly for the Porter Cable polisher and pads. There is a difference in quality of MFs out there, that can make a world of difference and maybe they are scratchy a bit.

The KS MFs I mentioned above are large, fluffy, good nap, absorb and polish out very nicely. I have had good results personally on both trucks. I have 2 boxes. New and Used/Old MFs. Any time I am polishing or applying spray wax or sealant to the main, large exterior sections of paint, it is time for new MFs. The others can be relegated to the door jambs, interior, engine bay, etc...then they make their way down the list until they get oil or grease and then trashed once they are beyond repair.

Perhaps it is not the actual MF, maybe your paint needs some more love? Time to get that clay bar and polisher in action again? :cool:

I am sure @adventurenali92 will have some input from his detail experience as well. His mileage may differ. Be interested to hear his take as well.
Thanks a lot Foss! I’ll get some from Costco. I needed a reason to go anyway. Lol. It’s not scratching (thank God) definitely something coming off the cloths I think. I may try vinegar as well, that’s a good idea. [emoji16][emoji106][emoji631]

ETA: I just had a detail done a couple weeks ago, so should be gtg there.

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot Foss! I’ll get some from Costco. I needed a reason to go anyway. Lol. It’s not scratching (thank God) definitely something coming off the cloths I think. I may try vinegar as well, that’s a good idea. [emoji16][emoji106][emoji631]

ETA: I just had a detail done a couple weeks ago, so should be gtg there.

Of course. No worries. Glad to give some .02.

Ok sounds like something retained in the MFs thst is making it swirly. Give them a solid wash on hot by themselves maybe after a soak and try again.

They should do the trick especially since you just had it detailed.

Here I would say yep it’s the salt spray especially with the east winds we are having. Lol

Maybe it’s early snow for you? Lol

Last edited:

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course. No worries. Glad to give some .02.

Ok sounds like something retained in the MFs thst is making it swirly. Give them a solid wash on hot by themselves maybe after a soak and try again.

They should do the trick especially since you just had it detailed.

Here I would say yep it’s the salt spray especially with the east winds we are having. Lol

Maybe it’s early snow for you? Lol
Haha! Not yet, but you never know! It was in the mid 90’s the last couple weeks, and we’re finally getting a break. But snow could be right around the corner. Thanks again Foss. I’ll try soaking in some vinegar. Hadn’t thought of that.

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sadly won't be soon with the weather headed our way the next few days.

Yeah I know. Tried to fit it in this week buuuuuuttt nope. Time got away and not even a wash either. Let this weekend pass on by.

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha! Not yet, but you never know! It was in the mid 90’s the last couple weeks, and we’re finally getting a break. But snow could be right around the corner. Thanks again Foss. I’ll try soaking in some vinegar. Hadn’t thought of that.

Yeah man!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n