forgot how it feels...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockymt21

wing addict
Reaction score
to work on the truck! I have been kind of disappointed with my truck as of late. I got ripped off big time from the dealer that I bought it from last Sept. It has been problem after problem, but I am in a situation right now where if I were to sell it, I probably couldn't afford anything better. So today I started cleaning it up a little bit. I took the roof rack off, and removed the weather guard window visors. WOW, the truck looks completely different and I like it a lot. Im not sure if it's just my truck, but the bolts holding the roof rack on were nearly impossible to get off. Next on the list is mainly repairs/mechanical stuff:

- New tires
- Needs new front shocks, and possibly new rear springs.
- Something is going on in the front end, at 55mph there is some extreme shaking of the front end, like if a wheel was about to fall off, the tie-rods and ball joints are fine though, not sure what it could be.
- The check engine light is on and the code is and EVAP problem, which I've heard can be a ***** to deal with.
- The A/C is blowing hot air, and the vents down by your feet blow hot air all of the time.
- Rear brakes need new cylinders or something, and the brakes need a bleed.

Hopefully once this stuff is taken care of it will run fine. Then I can focus more on aesthetic stuff. I've been wanting to paint the wheels, bumper, grill and tailight black, but im not so sure how it would look with my two tone paint. Speaking of paint, the barn doors are rusting pretty bad, and its evident that there has been some rot covered up by bondo. All along the bot edge of the doors is rusting as well.

What have I gotten myself into....:emotions122:

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've all had problems with them. some less than others. I've had mine since it had 30K miles on it. So I stopped the abuse early on. some of the problems may be very little and easy to fix.

For the shaking have you gotten the tires balanced? Alignment checked?

You can avoid the rear spring, assuming they are sagging with a 1-2" block. You can find some low cost springs, I think mine were 180 each.

Shocks, bilstiens when you do it. They may still be running the buy threee get one free special. I just sold / gave away mine old ones.

Tires: check craigslist and ebay.

The AC could be anything, needs a charge, a wire could be unplugged.
To make the vents stop blowing put the re-circulatror on (button on the dash that is arrows in a circle) that should stop that. All our trucks do it, it is actually a safety feature to keep carbon monoxide out of the car by flushing fresh air in

I hope this helps

OP
OP
rockymt21

rockymt21

wing addict
Reaction score
We've all had problems with them. some less than others. I've had mine since it had 30K miles on it. So I stopped the abuse early on. some of the problems may be very little and easy to fix.

For the shaking have you gotten the tires balanced? Alignment checked?

You can avoid the rear spring, assuming they are sagging with a 1-2" block. You can find some low cost springs, I think mine were 180 each.

Shocks, bilstiens when you do it. They may still be running the buy threee get one free special. I just sold / gave away mine old ones.

Tires: check craigslist and ebay.

The AC could be anything, needs a charge, a wire could be unplugged.
To make the vents stop blowing put the re-circulatror on (button on the dash that is arrows in a circle) that should stop that. All our trucks do it, it is actually a safety feature to keep carbon monoxide out of the car by flushing fresh air in

I hope this helps

Thanks for the reply!

The tires were balanced, the mechanic said they were off by 3 points or 3 something, which he said was quite a bit. This fixed the shaking a little, but it's still not gone so thats going to have to be taken care of.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
time to make friends with a paint/body guy. haha thats where mine has been off and on the last couple weeks to get the front end and bumpers done, o can't forget the rocker...

doesn't sound like you got yourself into to bad of a mess. most of it is just routine crap that they all have to get at some point or another.

hell mines due for brakes and a tune up. thanks for reminding me..... haha

OP
OP
rockymt21

rockymt21

wing addict
Reaction score
Im playing with the idea of painting my wheels and grill, and if that goes well my bumpers as well. The only thing is, im not sure what color, black? Or try and match the green of the car somehow...any ideas? Heres a pic:

Im going for as clean and simple look as possible. The truck is two tone, green and dark grey.

0305091440.jpg

talmadge

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I feel your frustrations, I bought a 98 surburban 4x4 with 156,000 miles to pull our travel trailer, I bought it 2 years ago for 4500.00
replaced all brakes rotors and drums, ujoints, new tires, new radiator, waterpump, fuel pump and sensor unit, instrument cluster (was doing the hummingbird effect). All four shocks catylic converter pipes and sensors wow that was expensive found it on the internet for 300.00. and the oh dreaded intake gasket. Well all said and done about 2000.00 worth of parts and labor. But all I can say is it beats having a 700.00 or more payment for a new one for 6or seven years. After all of the repairs it is like new to me without the monthly payment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmiller727