For those considering de-badging their Hybrid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
Aren't many first responders trained to disconnect the battery to prevent electrocution? If so, the orange wiring under the hood would be a dead giveaway. Besides, batteries are prone to damage in a collision even if it isn't a hybrid. Nothing really different here. Plus, location of the fluid is usually a good indicator of what it could be. You won't find coolant leaking from the passenger compartment area of a vehicle unless the car is mid or rear engine.

lt1gmc

Reaction score
Most of the time the call is due to a crash which often makes the hood difficult to open, then they would open just the front to access the normal battery(which cannot electrocute anybody at 12 volts). As far liquids showing midship of the vehicle, you may find both coolant and water(condensation) coming from the middle/rear of a Tahoe since they have rear air conditioning and heat.
Aren't many first responders trained to disconnect the battery to prevent electrocution? If so, the orange wiring under the hood would be a dead giveaway. Besides, batteries are prone to damage in a collision even if it isn't a hybrid. Nothing really different here. Plus, location of the fluid is usually a good indicator of what it could be. You won't find coolant leaking from the passenger compartment area of a vehicle unless the car is mid or rear engine.

Rockytfox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While getting my truck lowered this past week, the tech told me a buddy of his had removed the hybrid badging and was involved in a wreck. Since they were unable to identify it as a hybrid, he was fined $6,000. Now, this is all word of mouth so I cannot comment on how accurate the fine is but it is still something to consider.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Slade

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok...this post seems controversial so I wanted to give my input AS A TRAINED FIREFIGHTER:
Yes, we do have training on how to handle Hybrid cars, but some of these idiots are missing the point. Lets say you flip your Hybrid Tahoe 9 times at 75 MPH....I am hardly going to be able to tell that its a tahoe, much less a hybrid, so yes...the badging would be a huge help. And to the people saying "well they shouldn't just cut into the battery"...DUHH NO SHHH SHERLOCK! Guess what, I'M NOT GOING TO CUT INTO YOUR BATTERY... The problem comes in when your engine is on and "running" and in drive, but no one realizes it because it is silent...so all it takes is your foot tapping the accelerator or taking your foot off the brake to run over and kill someone. Just wanted to vent on a couple idiots real quick...rant over.

lt1gmc

Reaction score
One further point, the battery in a conventional Tahoe is 12 volts. Will not hurt you or shock you, worst case is sparks if grounded could start a fire especially if fuel is leaking. Hybrid, some cables are at 300 volts, plenty enough to kill you if not handled properly. That's why there is a disconnect feature at the battery under the seat.

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While getting my truck lowered this past week, the tech told me a buddy of his had removed the hybrid badging and was involved in a wreck. Since they were unable to identify it as a hybrid, he was fined $6,000. Now, this is all word of mouth so I cannot comment on how accurate the fine is but it is still something to consider.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Fined by who? Lol...

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dept of transportation :crazy:

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find that highly unlikely.

Lol....they do more than spread salt in the winter, Robbie. Sheesh. They out fining folks for debadging their Eco-friendly vehicles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17