For anyone with a '22 Tahoe that can't get Google News app to work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tahoe81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Google News app built into the new Android infotainment system hasn't worked since day one of receiving my '22 Tahoe. I've called OnStart numerous times and the dealer and no one seems to have any idea how a lot of the new infotainment functionality is supposed to work. I don't necessary need it to work, but it's there, so I'd like to try it out and see how it works.

Since day one, when I open the app it simply tells me "no content available."

Yesterday, I was using the "okay google" assistant to tell me the weather and after telling me the weather it said something like "if you'd like to hear the news, just say 'tell me the news'" so that's what I did. Low an behold, the Google News app loaded with news clips from NPR and other sources which I had added as favorites months ago on Google News on the web trying to get this functionality to work.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Google Assiatant on this vehicle is the single most undocumented feature on this vehicle.

I can say:
“He Google, tune the radio to channel 114 on Serius XM” and it dutifully changes channel

Shortly thereafter I can say:
“Hey Google, tune the radio to channel 56 on Sirius XM” and the assistant will relpy
“To do that you will need to install Apple Music”

WTH…

Worst part, where do I report this bug, who is in charge of fixing it?
Dealer is clueless
OnStar Connected folks say call Google
Google has no Phone Number and the online help says call your OEM…

Like the OP says, it isn’t a requirement, but when you plop down $80k+ and a feature is advertised to work, you expect it to work…

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s no different with GM available apps In the 2021 era…OnStar knows nothing about them and the app developers say these are GM apps and we don’t troubleshoot any issues with them….

OP
OP
T

tahoe81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Google Assiatant on this vehicle is the single most undocumented feature on this vehicle.

I can say:
“He Google, tune the radio to channel 114 on Serius XM” and it dutifully changes channel

“Hey Google, tune the radio to channel 56 on Sirius XM” and the assistant will relpy

WTH…

Dealer is clueless

Like the OP says, it isn’t a requirement, but when you plop down $80k+ and a feature is advertised to work, you expect it to work…
It's so frustrating. The UI isn't bad IMO, but stuff just doesn't work correctly. I've also had a bug where the volume will ONLY adjust navigation volume and not audio. It just gets stuck. The only way t unstuck it is to shut the vehicle off and then back on. It's unreal

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I can say:

WTH…

Dealer is clueless

I explored this further yesterday...being careful w/ what I was saying, here are the step by steps:
1) Quickly tap the voice control button on the steering wheel
2) Wait for the assistant to pop up and the beep
3) Speak "Set the radio to channel <xx> on Sirius XM" where <xx> is filled in with a number (would always look at the txt which the assistant filled in, and it matched what I have in quotes here)

After saying #3 with any channel except for 56 (and I started at 45 and worked up, and 70 and worked down), it would always change the channel and state "Ok, now streaming <yyy> on Sirius XM" where <yyy> is the Channel Name. (The Garth Channel, Prime Country, etc).

However, if <xx> was 56, the assistant would reply with a few different error messages basically saying it couldn't tune to channel 56.

Someone else w/ Active Sirius XM and Active Data plan want to try asking the assistant to tune to 56?

OP
OP
T

tahoe81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I explored this further yesterday...being careful w/ what I was saying, here are the step by steps:
3) Speak "Set the radio to channel <xx> on Sirius XM" where <xx> is filled in with a number (would always look at the txt which the assistant filled in, and it matched what I have in quotes here)

After saying #3 with any channel except for 56 (and I started at 45 and worked up, and 70 and worked down), it would always change the channel and state "Ok, now streaming <yyy> on Sirius XM" where <yyy> is the Channel Name. (The Garth Channel, Prime Country, etc).

However, if <xx> was 56, the assistant would reply with a few different error messages basically saying it couldn't tune to channel 56.

Someone else w/ Active Sirius XM and Active Data plan want to try asking the assistant to tune to 56?
I'll try this evening on my way home from work and report back

OP
OP
T

tahoe81

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That’s hilarious. Doesn’t work for me either. 56 is seemingly the only station that doesn’t work using your exact script. I did say “set the radio station to 56 on Sirius” and it worked. FWIW.

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s hilarious. Doesn’t work for me either. 56 is seemingly the only station that doesn’t work using your exact script. I did say “set the radio station to 56 on Sirius” and it worked. FWIW.
I think someone messed up on the coding for station 56.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10