Fog harness capacity?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Luis6769

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, i couldn't find on forum if anyone knows the oem fog harness capacity? The original bulbs are rated at 28w, i been running 35w hid kit but i want to try to install quad led fogs and they are rated at 20 watts each so thats 40w each side 80w total. Is it safe to run it or i have to install a aftermarket fog harness.thx

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the additional LED lights are low wattage, it should not be a problem.

Is your HID fogs not bright enough? I am preparing to install 35w / 5500K HID kit from TRS. Using my OEM housings.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think that you will be OK using the stock fog light harness and circuit. You can check the fuse for that circuit, and then multiply the fuse amp rating times 14.4 volts supply to determine the maximum wattage that will be allowed by the existing circuit. The stock harness wiring itself will allow significantly more amps than the fuse rating.

I had a somewhat similar situation with my backup lights, in that even after changing to direct replacement in-socket LEDs, the enhanced light from the LED backup lights was not sufficient for me to easily navigate my driveway in reverse, with stone walls on either side, at night. I decided to add two Rough Country 8" LED light bars under the rear bumper.

In this specific case, I was advised that the backup light circuit (which requires far less power than the front fog lights) was marginal in available power to also run the two 8" LED bars, and a new direct wire to the battery was run to power the two 8" LED light bars, along with a relay that is activated by the original backup lights circuit to turn on the two 8" LED light bars.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, i couldn't find on forum if anyone knows the oem fog harness capacity? The original bulbs are rated at 28w, i been running 35w hid kit but i want to try to install quad led fogs and they are rated at 20 watts each so thats 40w each side 80w total. Is it safe to run it or i have to install a aftermarket fog harness.thx
they will work fine

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the additional LED lights are low wattage, it should not be a problem.

Is your HID fogs not bright enough? I am preparing to install 35w / 5500K HID kit from TRS. Using my OEM housings.
careful with the oem housings they tend to get water in them and burn out bulbs

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
careful with the oem housings they tend to get water in them and burn out bulbs

Yea..... Since the very nice looking harness will be running behind & above the bumper, I plan to weather seal the harness ( from light housing up to power connections) as much as possible ( But still keep it serviceable - no messy silicone, or crap like that )

OP
OP
L

Luis6769

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I try my best but one led is crooked i try fixing it but couldn't. I would say not bad for my first sort of retrofit fogs. One of the fogs is not giving enought bright i tryed raising it but still dim i think it might be bad have to switch it.

20190311_193019.jpg 20190311_193605.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14