Fluids Change & Other Maintenance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mk04Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First post here. Wanted to start off saying thanks for all of the knowledge shared here - it has definitely been helpful. Wanted to get everybody's thoughts on what i'm thinking of using. Here is my list that I'm going to tackle this weekend on my 2004 Yukon SLT (5.3L) 60K miles:

Transmission Fluid - pan drop/filter change - going with RP Max ATF fluid
- I checked the transmission cross reference chart on the RP website and should be ok with Max ATF. Anybody think any different?

Front & Rear Differential - going with RP 75w-90

Transfer Case fluid - not sure on this, should I do it since I'm down there? Do I need to get the blue stuff from the dealer?

Coolant flush - was thinking Peak - any thoughts should I go with the pre-mixed stuff?

Brake Fluid - was going to go with best priced Dot 3 that I find at the store - any thoughts?

Change the fuel filter

Also going to lube the grease fittings - was just going to use some molly grease. should I be using something else?

Any thoughts, recommendations or tips are appreciated. Thanks again

Sepiroth

I am here
Reaction score
First post here. Wanted to start off saying thanks for all of the knowledge shared here - it has definitely been helpful. Wanted to get everybody's thoughts on what i'm thinking of using. Here is my list that I'm going to tackle this weekend on my 2004 Yukon SLT (5.3L) 60K miles:

Transmission Fluid - pan drop/filter change - going with RP Max ATF fluid
- I checked the transmission cross reference chart on the RP website and should be ok with Max ATF. Anybody think any different? IMHO, you do not want to mix the two fluids. I would have the trans flushed completely and then do the pan drop and filter change.

Front & Rear Differential - going with RP 75w-90 Be sure you do not have a posi. If so, you'll need a friction modifier I believe.

Transfer Case fluid - not sure on this, should I do it since I'm down there? Do I need to get the blue stuff from the dealer? Cant help you there. I would just use what it calls for.

Coolant flush - was thinking Peak - any thoughts should I go with the pre-mixed stuff? IIWY, I would go with either the tried and true green stuff or the new hotness. The new G-05 yellow coolant. If you do change from DEX crap, be sure you remove 98% of it. You do not really wanna mix.

Brake Fluid - was going to go with best priced Dot 3 that I find at the store - any thoughts? Das good.

Change the fuel filter. Definitley

Also going to lube the grease fittings - was just going to use some molly grease. should I be using something else? regular grease is fine.

Any thoughts, recommendations or tips are appreciated. Thanks again

OP
OP
M

mk04Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thanks for the reply. I believe it is a limited slip differential, but will confirm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts