Floor Jack Replacement Wheels?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking on opinions on floor jack replacement wheels and castors that might be a bit happier (smoother and more cooperative) on asphalt driveways.
My old Blue Beast (NAPA import) jack, probably over 35 years old and original, takes a lot of effort to move across the driveway and to get into position, each of which ends up not being smooth.
Current wheels are metal, steel or cast iron, not sure which, but show wear from abrasion on the pavement as would be expected after all the years.
Is a different material more suitable?
Any thoughts on Polyurethane on cast iron?

Last edited:

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking on opinions on floor jack replacement wheels and castors that might be a bit happier (smoother and more cooperative) on asphalt driveways.
My old Blue Beast (NAPA import) jack, probably over 35 years old and original, takes a lot of effort to move across the driveway and to get into position, each of which ends up not being smooth.
Current wheels are metal, steel or cast iron, not sure which, but show wear from abrasion on the pavement as would be expected after all the years.
Is a different material more suitable?
Any thoughts on Polyurethane on cast iron?
I would go with steel wheels myself.

Polyurethane will pick up all sorts of debris and my develop flat spots.

NoReverseYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were me, I would get new metal rollers in as large a diameter that will fit. Also, on asphalt, I always place down some plywood before I roll the jack out. We all know how asphalt gets soft in the heat and a jack with some weight on it will sink in. I do the same with jackstands.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree with @OR VietVet . I know that we often get REALLY attached to our long-term tools, often to the point where we simply refuse to retire them.

But, you'll spent more time and money trying to re-wheel that old jack then simply replacing it. Give it a private retirement ceremony and replace it.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were me, I would get new metal rollers in as large a diameter that will fit. Also, on asphalt, I always place down some plywood before I roll the jack out. We all know how asphalt gets soft in the heat and a jack with some weight on it will sink in. I do the same with jackstands.
Yes, bigger diameter would help.

On the support topic, having worked on our blacktop in the shade of ancient trees it's never hot enough to have an effect on support. Been here for over 40 years so that's not a concern.
The thing I am trying to improve on though is maneuvering and the long teeth rattling drag to the work area.
My wheels and casters are pretty narrow compared to what I see today and perhaps that's an outdated standard.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with @OR VietVet . I know that we often get REALLY attached to our long-term tools, often to the point where we simply refuse to retire them.

But, you'll spent more time and money trying to re-wheel that old jack then simply replacing it. Give it a private retirement ceremony and replace it.
I'm sure you are right on the feasibility of retrofitting but I recently did some work at a friend's place and he had two high end jacks that we used at the same time. That left a positive impression.
That puts a roadblock on the thought of retiring the old Beast even with a new replacement.

Thoughts of replacement do raise a question though; Were old Chinese jacks better than current new Chinese jacks?
Not looking for an answer to that but I will say that the old Beast is impossible to find replacement seals for even at a local "seal" warehouse. They couldn't match anything up. I have been lucky but maybe that answers the question.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used this company in link for seal kits for floor jacks.
Usually when you tear apart jack to get to cylinder and cylinder block there will be numbers that can be plugged into this company's web site and will get brand and seal kits available form them.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used this company in link for seal kits for floor jacks.
Usually when you tear apart jack to get to cylinder and cylinder block there will be numbers that can be plugged into this company's web site and will get brand and seal kits available form them.

Company was bye bye long ago with respect to the jacks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz