flooding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fishin757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after having most of my area flooded during sandy i saw many cars on the side of the road flooded. what exactly floods a car/truck? water in the air intake or exhaust or what?

_Dylan_

STAY FROSTY
Reaction score
You mean hydrolocked?

Water getting into the air intake can seize a motor up.

imi4tth3w

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Water in the gas tank, engine, intake, electrical systems, if you plan on fixing one that has been very much submerged, your in for a project. But it can be fixed by drying out and cleaning out many of the components. Electrical problems will be the hardest part really

OP
OP
Fishin757

Fishin757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah hydrolocked. is there any way to prevent that from happening w/o a snorkel?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
seal all the opening like intake, fuel, exhaust, drive train vents and such your electrical should already be sealed in the connectors. there still might be some minor ingress of water but nothing that is not easily managed. still have to worry about interior tho. if your engine ingest water thru intake your interior is done for likely. this may seem far out there but it is possible to get waterproof tarps or plastic drive over it and wrap it up over the suv but it might cost a few. kinda like a drawstring bag.

_Dylan_

STAY FROSTY
Reaction score
yeah hydrolocked. is there any way to prevent that from happening w/o a snorkel?

You plan on driving through water?

Extend breather lines and don't drive through water deeper than the tires and you'll be fine.

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If a vehicle is in water over the hood, it depends. If the batter is charged and hooked up, there will be big problems.....fresh water not as bad as salt water damage.

Battery not hooked up in fresh water is the best case scenario.

Then there is mold, delamination of glues holding stuff together, etc.
I would never buy a flood vehicle.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It really depends on how it died, if it was hydrolocked, that's bad. Your engine can injest some water and not hydrolock and stop running, it's happened to me before ... it's like the guys that use seafoam incorrectly and dump it in until the truck stalls. Hahaha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401