FLEXPLATE ISSUES…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Murdered99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m dealing with an ongoing issue. Not long after I bought this 99 Tahoe. I started hearing a clicking noise. Figured out the flexplate had cracked. I took it to a mechanic. Had the flexplate replaced. A day or 2 later the flexplate is making noise again. Not cracked, But is hitting something. Took it back to the mechanic. 3 times now. And he nor the 2nd mechanic I had look at it cant figure out why the flexplate is still hitting something. 3 flex plates in and 4 starters. I’m still dealing with the issue. I can turn the truck off and back on and sometimes it will make the noise, sometimes it won’t. I NEED THIS FIXED.

OP
OP
M

Murdered99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have you looked at the teeth on the starter to see if the flex plate is making contact?
Yessir. You can see the grooves in the flexplate on one side of the teeth. The side where the starter is. I’ve had a couple diff starters on it. But hits regardless. Eventually cracking it. I’m on my 3rd flexplate and this one hasn’t cracked yet but is def hitting still.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yessir. You can see the grooves in the flexplate on one side of the teeth. The side where the starter is. I’ve had a couple diff starters on it. But hits regardless. Eventually cracking it. I’m on my 3rd flexplate and this one hasn’t cracked yet but is def hitting still.
You need to look at how your starter is mounted and you may need to shim it out a little so it doesn’t hit the flex plate when it is retracted. The fact that you are on your third flex plate and a few starters is just crazy.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like all replacement parts there are good parts and some that are not so good. Might be time for a genuine GM flexplate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar