Flashing check engine with traction light on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roosh725

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the second time this week I start my car in the morning and immediately it has a rough idle, the check engine light is flashing and the traction control light is steady on. It feels like it’s having misfires and rough transmission shifts while driving the truck. It’s a 15 with 85k miles. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the second time this week I start my car in the morning and immediately it has a rough idle, the check engine light is flashing and the traction control light is steady on. It feels like it’s having misfires and rough transmission shifts while driving the truck. It’s a 15 with 85k miles. Any ideas?

Flashing CEL is a misfire. Get a scanner on it and see what’s going on.

Are there any messages on dash?

Does the flashing CEL go away eventually?

OP
OP
R

roosh725

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flashing CEL is a misfire. Get a scanner on it and see what’s going on.

Are there any messages on dash?

Does the flashing CEL go away eventually?

Will do,

First time (2 days ago) after about 10 minutes it went away. Drove it yesterday no issues. This morning same thing and have driven it about 20 miles still on and running rough

OP
OP
R

roosh725

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m getting code p0308 cylinder 8 misfire

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m getting code p0308 cylinder 8 misfire

You probably have a collapsed lifter but other things ought to be checked out first. Can your scan tool run tests on the engine, such as turning off injectors and coils? It's a pain, but you'll first want to pull that plug and have a look at it.

OP
OP
R

roosh725

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You probably have a collapsed lifter but other things ought to be checked out first. Can your scan tool run tests on the engine, such as turning off injectors and coils? It's a pain, but you'll first want to pull that plug and have a look at it.

Greatttt. I think I’m still covered under power train warranty. At least I hope so

OP
OP
R

roosh725

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:

I took it into the local Chevy dealer thinking it was still under warranty ( I am the second owner)but news to me, the warranty was up for the 5 yr mark in October.

They did however do a free diagnostic check and stated my ignition coil was corroded and the spark was arcing. let’s see and hope if it’s just that I will be replacing it myself soon.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update:

I took it into the local Chevy dealer thinking it was still under warranty ( I am the second owner)but news to me, the warranty was up for the 5 yr mark in October.

They did however do a free diagnostic check and stated my ignition coil was corroded and the spark was arcing. let’s see and hope if it’s just that I will be replacing it myself soon.

Glad it sounds like an easy fix.

Bummer on the 5yr limit. Glad they did you a solid with a free diagnostic.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like best case scenario as far as the repair. Please update when you find out if that fixes it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts