First time Yukon XL owner, looking for lift and/or tire advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caseybrunet

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good Morning Everyone. I recently purchased a 2018 Yukon XL 4x4 with the HD trailering package. I have never in my life modified a vehicle but the first thing some coworkers suggested to me was to put a lift kit on it and some bigger all-terrain tires. I am not against it necessarily, but I have no idea how that will impact the performance if the vehicle and that's where I need the advice.

Funnily enough...I purchased this vehicle to save on gas (I am getting 25 mpg highway versus the 17 I was getting with my Tundra) and because it will be a better fit for my growing family, so my main concern is vehicle performance. I love the look of a lifted Yukon XL with the all terrain tires but will that reduce my highway fuel economy (my work commute is nearly all highway)? Also, does that have an impact on Tow capacity? I don't have one yet but in the future I am looking to get a small camper.

Thanks!

Edit: Per request I added some photos of my Yukon XL. These are photos from the dealer listing since they took better photos than I would likely take.
also, I would like to note that I don't know anything about these modifications. Does getting larger tires mean getting a new rim AND tire or do I just put larger tires on the current rims? How much lift is typical? is that a job I could learn to do myself or is it a professional job?

Attachments

• yukon 1.jpg
    yukon 1.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 14
  • yukon 3.jpg
    yukon 3.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 13
  • yukon 5.jpg
    yukon 5.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 12
  • yukon 7.jpg
    yukon 7.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 12
  • yukon 2.jpg
    yukon 2.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I cannot personally help you with your lift-related question; however, other members on this Forum that are much more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

Regarding tires, that will depend on what surfaces you plan to run the truck on. If mostly on asphalt, then I'd recommend Michelin Defenders, as they should last 70,000+ miles, and they are quiet, and work well in all 4 seasons. They are pricey, but well worth it. If you plan a significant amount of off-roading, other folks on this Forum will chime in with suggestions.

salisburyv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 2013 Yukon SLT came with 17" wheels. it rode ok (i just replaced the front struts) I switched to factory 20" wheels off a 2017 XL. and the ride was light years better. But i'm not using all terrain tires. I use touring tires. Ones meant for highway driving only. This is the best riding vehicle i've ever had. It's like sitting on your couch watching tv. lol I only have a leveling kit on. but when i put the 20" wheels on i gained an inch in height. I wasn't planning on going any higher, i've been told the ride quality would suffer, i'm not into that.... I hope this helps

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
You can put whatever size tire your wanting with the stock wheels. As far as economy goes I would stick with 33s or a 305 to keep the stock gears decent mileage and all that. You can do a aftermarket coil over or just a 40$ leveling kit both can be done in 30 min to a hr with basic hand tools and a jack super easy to do

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good Morning Everyone. I recently purchased a 2018 Yukon XL 4x4 with the HD trailering package. I have never in my life modified a vehicle but the first thing some coworkers suggested to me was to put a lift kit on it and some bigger all-terrain tires. I am not against it necessarily, but I have no idea how that will impact the performance if the vehicle and that's where I need the advice.

Funnily enough...I purchased this vehicle to save on gas (I am getting 25 mpg highway versus the 17 I was getting with my Tundra) and because it will be a better fit for my growing family, so my main concern is vehicle performance. I love the look of a lifted Yukon XL with the all terrain tires but will that reduce my highway fuel economy (my work commute is nearly all highway)? Also, does that have an impact on Tow capacity? I don't have one yet but in the future I am looking to get a small camper.

Thanks!

Edit: Per request I added some photos of my Yukon XL. These are photos from the dealer listing since they took better photos than I would likely take.
also, I would like to note that I don't know anything about these modifications. Does getting larger tires mean getting a new rim AND tire or do I just put larger tires on the current rims? How much lift is typical? is that a job I could learn to do myself or is it a professional job?
Well Casey, it's been a few months what did you do?

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my 2015 Yukon Denali XL. I replaced the front with ADS racing coilovers that are tuned for more street use than offroad.
Out back I have border patrol springs which raised the rear 1.5”.
Ads is building a pair of 2.5 body remote reservoir shocks. (I’m using multimatic shocks for the moment as a joke)

I spoke with the guys at copper tires a while ago and they make the ATP2 tire specifically for Americas tire/discount tire direct.

It’s the same carcass and rubber compound as their at4 so even though it’s not snowflake rated, it would be. They just didn’t pay the fee.

The tire tread is a little between an AT and a ST. The sidewall is a ST and I’m running 275/65/18. I could have gone a little taller but I want no interference if I use chains.

I have seen no mpg drop city wise since lifting and 1 mpg drop on a freeway run. But it may have been the temp or unknown other difference.

Ads racing is still honoring the “juicier” discount code. I think it’s 10% off and they will tune the shocks for your use.

B6476D0E-B78F-4641-8440-B32B9E8B55A2.jpeg

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for mileage,
lifting the vehicle hurts mileage
adding tire weight hurts mileage
'typically' adding tire size hurts mileage

Towing is impacted in that larger/heavier tires add load to the vehicle. At the end of the day the towing ability difference is small unless you significantly change tire size.

On my 1/2 ton ram ecoDiesel going from OEM tires to BF KO2's resulted in loosing 2 mpg's. Wife's '21 diesel denali XL also got KO2's and she is still getting high twenties on the interstate. No idea what the mileage was with OEM tires as they were changed before we took delivery.

I also have an '08 Tahoe with a 5 inch lift under it. The lift ruined the ride, but I need clearance for the tracks so it's a necessary evil.

Basically, lift / larger / heavier tires will impact ride / mileage to some degree. How significant the change will determine the amount of impact.

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lifts with crappy shocks ruin rides.

But lifts and wider tires, and jumps in OD definitely will effect mileage. But you can always swap gears to get most of that mileage back

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaliRoyal