First Post Questions- About to Pickup 2010 SSV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomandjerry00

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Howdy folks,

I've gone through nearly every thread in this part of the forum and am excited for my "new" Tahoe!

I picked up a supervisor's 2010 Tahoe SSV 4x4 + tow package with 150k miles from a local police department at an online auction. I checked it out in person and talked to one of the fleet mechanics who made me feel comfortable with the purchase. It really appears to be in great condition with (hopefully) no major problems, just retired for mileage. I have a small hatchback I use for daily and highway driving, this will mostly be for occasional towing, snow, and the farms/hunting. I hope to keep the SSV look while making some basic changes discussed below. Pics to come when I pick it up.

Got it for $8300, how'd I do?

Does the below seem right? Overkill? Missing items?

Immediate (first weekend) projects:
-oil change (5W-30 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum)
-test and replace battery
-hook up scanner and check codes
-check brakes
-steam clean front seats (though they appear clean)
-can of Seafoam

Short-term projects (~3 month time frame):
-replace pads and rotors, flush lines
-replace coils, spark plugs and wires
-replace transmission fluid
-replace coolant
-replace differential oil
-alignment
-replace fuel, cabin, and air filters
-sand and paint steel wheels (maybe black?)

Questions/projects (after checking build codes):
-Backup camera: the OEM camera requires some drilling and Dremeling which makes me nervous, are there other options that are still inconspicuous? I'm planning on a Pioneer head unit and wired cam at the moment. Currently, have stock AM/FM radio.
-Add the DIC
-Center console: currently has a metal rack bolted to the floor that looks like something can be bolted onto? Will try to post photos, wouldn't mind a police-bolt item for this
-Reconnect strobes that are still in the headlights
-Oil filter recommendation?
-Other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for the camera you might see if the appliqué that holds the camera is available somewhere and if there’s already a hole for the cable. It goes along the driver side of the rear hatch.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
The GMT900s don't have a cabin air filter from the factory. GM cheaped out... BUT... you can buy the filter and "door/cover" for it and cut the location that is premarked with a utility knife and install it yourself.

Oil filter recommendations...

Wix/Napa Gold
Purolator pure one
K&N (nice because of the nut welded on the bottom for ease of removal)
Mobil 1

All about the same.

A slightly taller filter can be had but you are limited in diameter by the oil pan.

OP
OP
T

tomandjerry00

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The GMT900s don't have a cabin air filter from the factory. GM cheaped out... BUT... you can buy the filter and "door/cover" for it and cut the location that is premarked with a utility knife and install it yourself.

Oil filter recommendations...

Wix/Napa Gold
Purolator pure one
K&N (nice because of the nut welded on the bottom for ease of removal)
Mobil 1

All about the same.

A slightly taller filter can be had but you are limited in diameter by the oil pan.

Thanks! Never would have guessed they’d skip on a cabin air filter! I usually use K&Ns so i’ll try to dig one up.

OP
OP
T

tomandjerry00

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As for the camera you might see if the appliqué that holds the camera is available somewhere and if there’s already a hole for the cable. It goes along the driver side of the rear hatch.

Thanks! I’ll check it out when I pick it up.

jz57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use Delco Oil Filter PF63 or other brand names' one based on cross-reference.
Add towing hooks if they did come with the truck.
Add rear towing hitch if did did come with the truck.

balln2k11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good deal. I picked up an 09 RWD with 110k for $6600 last month... mine has really bad paint damage due to lazy people taking off the police emblems (they used a flathead screwdriver).

My biggest complaint was the horrible ride. So firm and also rattled the whole truck. Made an improvement replacing struts and shocks... still crazy firm. Rims and tires are needed to also improve.

Items I have done so far:

Center console, radio bezel, exterior windshield trim, A-pillar covers, rear view mirror, dome light (with added home link) all from a wrecked 2009 Tahoe LTZ. I think i paid $200 for all items

Dynomat floorboard
Replaced door and A-pillar speakers (also hooked up disconnect rear doors)
Replaced struts and shocks with Monroe (39106 in the front 911545 Rear)
LED headlights (such an improvement)
Tail lights (mine were missing some how)
Mirror covers (painted white)

Items purchased but not installed yet:

Spark plus
Oil filter/oil
DIC
Steering wheel volume control & harness
Kenwood double-din, amp, subs, harness
Backup camera (mounts where factory camera should go and looks factory)
factory roof rack (pulled from 2009 LTZ)

Have much more to go

OP
OP
T

tomandjerry00

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Picked her up and put about 500 miles on her in the last few days. Everything looks go so far!

No codes came up in the scanner, brake pads and tires are about 50%, oil change was done about 3000 miles ago with synthetic, etc. So far I'm extremely pleased.

Next project will be dialing in the searchlight and installing a backup camera. I'm leaning towards just getting a new receiver that I can directly plug a backup camera into for simplicity's sake. Seems cheaper than any OEM option as well.

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for the console, whatever bracket you see down there is likely for the radio console that was removed. They may have forgotten to take the part out you see, or just didn't need it since the GMT900 has been replaced now.

The center console attaches under the dash in a few places, but the major support/mounting points are using a seat mounting stud for each front seat (the most inward and rear stud for each side). Since you have to take your seats out to mount the console, save any major carpet cleaning or seat cleaning for when you purchase a console and are ready to install it. You'll be able to get access to much more real estate to clean.